chip shield

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Christmas and Company, had a good day but to much talking, stinking food being cooked, kids , ok, I am done, my wife looked at me and said why don't you go in the shop for a while, thanks for the break out of here, so I wanted to do something quick and easy, so I made bracket that would hold a face shield over the chuck on the 14X40 HF lathe, when I use the cooling fluid it give me a bath when it gets close to the chuck, it hinges on a 1/4 shoulder bolt that is tapped into a 3/4 stock, the grove is 1/4 X 3/8 this lets the shield a place to bottom out, the rear bolt is 1/4" and goes through the chip shield, can angle if it is not the right height, nothing earth shattering but did get my mind off the nut house, glad its only once a year, Lathe Nut
Shield2.jpg

Shield3.jpg

Ubercool!

How heavy is the Plexiglas? I'm just thinking it might make a first line of defense if something goes flying off the headstock. No way I'm suggesting using it in place of a face shield or goggles, just an additional level of safety.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Lathe Nut

Neat job. That looks like you borrowed a replaceable face shield lenses as the cover. Is that correct?

Happy holidays,

Andy

Lathe Nut
You been peeking in my shop window again?...LOL. I did nearly the very same mod about 2 months back, after picking up several of the same face shields at the Travers Tool open house sale... at a buck apiece. I think Tim (Zeusrekning) thought I was completely nuts when I bought 5 of them. Mine flips back over the top of the head.

They do fit the bill perfectly. Like Kludge said... just another layer in the safety net. Safety glasses are still the order of the day. Nicely done.

Now I'm getting ready to fit it to the C4 lathe in the same configuration you've used. The little mini lathe is beginning to look a little naked as I rob things to move to the new machine.

Steve

Fellows it is a face shield, I get them when I go by the office, I have about 25 of them in the shop, everytime I go by the office now I will get a few more for sure, it only weight a few ounces, I do wear safety glasses, I wanted it mostly for the cooling fluid that gets on me when the chuck grabs it.
Steve, your right been looking in the window of your shop, I am caught what can I say, except that I have seen a few others things that I will try to make like your
Have fun today, Lathe Nut

Nice, I like that idea.

I've been wanting to make a shield for a while just to try and stop me covering the floor with swarf and I've been wondering how I was going to bend the perspex and this is a much simpler solution.
Will need to keep my eye out for cheap face shield.

tmuir said:
I've been wondering how I was going to bend the perspex and this is a much simpler solution.

A little heat does this nicely. It can be heated enough to make it soft then molded around a form. Check at http://www.acrylic-designs.com/plastic_FAQ's.htm for some basic info or google: plexiglas forming. It's fun stuff to play with though I hasten to admit I haven't since shortly after high school.

Best regards,

Kludge

Lathe Nut
Copy away... after all, I steal only the best ideas I can find....LOL.

The first shield I made was formed from plexiglass and it worked like a charm until I managed to knock a workpiece out of the chuck. The Plexiglass did its job and deflected the metal but it was badly shattered when all the dust settled. The face shield material has a bit more flex to it and I'm thinking it should be less prone to shatter. They sure used to take some pretty heavy abuse around the fabrication shop.

Steve

I'm certainly not an expert but I have read that Lexan is a better choice of material for this application because it is more resistant to shattering than is Plexiglas. Perhaps one of our materials experts can clarify.

On a related note, what material is used for face shields?

Lexan is, indeed, a far better choice. GE engineered it for a far more harsh environment than plexi should encounter. The older telephone cases were made of it, for example. (I don't know that they still are as a rule.)

The various acrylics are fairly rugged as well, and are used for things like plastic impact resistant windows.

Best regards,

Kludge

I like it because it only takes three thumb screw to change it out, don't have to do the heat and bend with the other items, I am going by Horrible Freight tomorrow night going to see if they have them, long as I can get them at work for the asking going to do that, played today it works great for chips and fluid, Lathe Nut

As I recall, the shields are made of a poly-vinyl of some sort. Tough stuff and resilient enough to hold up to impact and abrasion quite nicely. Thus its use in protecting the face. It isn't likely to shatter and it appears to resist scratches from flying chips and stringy swarf.

Steve

Steve, I don't know about all them big words, but I do know this, looked in the window to your shop, saw the shield that you made, he like me bound to have some other hid, sure enough the left bottom draw under the workbench, there they were, I only a hand full, thanks, I even put one on my mill, used some magnest with a metal strip, with wing nuts to remove simple, you have to look real close, its hard to see, thanks again for everything, Lathe Nut
sheild1.jpg

Lathe Nut
Nice adaptation on the mill. I'm still trying to come up with a "better mouse trap" on that front.

By the way... the spares are stored in the right bottom drawer....LOL

Steve

Steve it sure would be nice if when we machine the chips would vanish, spend out time making not cleaning, for metal that loves magnets I had made something to pick them up, it was an electric clutch off a Lawnmower, once over the trash can cut the switch, will have to do that again, I had picked up those two magnets at a flea market, its has two plates each side of the magnet, makes removal easy, was not able to find anymore yet, might try to make one more to the side that get the most chips, I will look in the other draw next time, I think that you are not sure where they are, great week all, Lathe Nut

Very cool idea, whose ever it is. Some safety shields are polycarbonate now, very resistant but these shields are there to stop chips from flying all over not as a safety glasses, goggle or common sense replacement.

Latest posts

Back