Cheap air pressure gauge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black85vette

Reaction score
I was looking for a lower pressure air gauge and almost everything I found was 160 psi. I have since found a cheap source at auto parts stores and Harbor Freight. The round tire pressure gauges are 0-60 psi and it is easy to remove the tire stem fitting on them and cut off the center pin. They have a 1/4 NPT nipple under the fitting. I put one on an old spray gun regulator I had laying around and use it to run my engines. I pay around $3 or less for these depending on where I find them.

DSCF0846.JPG

DSCF0848.JPG

This brings up a question that I hope someone can answer.

Given one of these gauges as a starting point, is it possible to build some kind of "10 to 1 adapter" so that its readings will be for zero to 6 psi?

if you just want to monitor low line pressure to your engine, use a 10 psi liquid filled pressure gauge available from US Gauge and other sources. I have one that I use to service kerosene turbo heaters. Their air pumps operate at 1 1/2 to 7 psi and require a steady gauge reading. Richard

AlanHaisley said:
This brings up a question that I hope someone can answer.

Given one of these gauges as a starting point, is it possible to build some kind of "10 to 1 adapter" so that its readings will be for zero to 6 psi?

Have you seen those digital tire gauges? Maybe the can measure low pressures accurately and they don't cost much.

For low pressures a liquid filled manometer is the way to go. For realy low the slant
tube ones can go down to fractions of an inch of water. Al it takes is a bit of glass
tubing and some colored water. Of course a bit rubber tubing.
...lew...

Another over-looked source for small pressure gauges are old CO2 fire extinguishers , they often have a tiny gauge on the top , you would have to calibrate against a known pressure though 'cos they usually only show full and empty.
Being a steam enthusiast I am currently working on producing very small steam pressure gauges of 1/2" dia or less, I am hopeful that my idea will allow very cheap gauges to be made.

Kep us posted on that one Abby - I for one .....

franklin1990 said:
Why are you looking for lower pressure air gauge what is your purpose?

Part of my desire is just to know how one might be made. Another part is to accurately measure pressure in the 0 to 10 psi range so that I can tune small model steam (air) engines. The gauge on my small Sears compressor really doesn't show below about 20 PSI. I figure that with an accurate low pressure gauge and a fabricated diverter valve I can work in the light ranges and have reasonable assurance of the results.

Alan

abby said:
Being a steam enthusiast I am currently working on producing very small steam pressure gauges of 1/2" dia or less, I am hopeful that my idea will allow very cheap gauges to be made.

Any progress on this? I'm looking for a source of tiny gauges.

There's always these - not exactly tiny at 16mm, but nicely made and the price is pretty reasonable compared to what you pay from the ME suppliers.

Back