Challenge for the group - Lathe and Drill Press

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefishhunter

Reaction score
O.k. While waiting for another deal to close, in which I will eventually end up with a bunch of equipment.... (story for another time.) I have a challenge for the group, I have been very impressed with everones knowledge around here, and wanted to see what you could come up with here.

I have in my garage a 7x10 lathe and a modest drill press.

What engines can I make with this just these two bits? I've already got a wobbler (fancy) so was looking for somethign a littel more enlightened and remember.. no milling allowed.

I look forward to your enlightened answers. ;D

Not exactly the answer you asked for but for under $100 you can do small milling on the 7x10. The Taig milling attachment is easy to mount with an adapter you can make out of aluminum. You can use a collet to hold the end mill with a homemade draw bar (bolt and collar). I have now built about 5 simple engines with a 7x10 lathe and small drill press.

Now to your exact question; Elmers #19 could be made without a mill if you select the materials with the right dimensions. You could bore the cylinder, turn the piston, flywheel, and crank. Most everything else could be done with a hacksaw and file.

Plans are here:
http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/19_standby.pdf

Any of the smaller Stuart range would also be doable (if yer rich enough). My first engine was the Stuart 10V, and later I did the Stuart beam, with just the Myford ML7 and a bench drill. A faceplate is almost insispensable tho'.

I made Dave Goodfellow's Siamese Twins Engine with just a lathe and drill press.
It did require a lot of hand grinding and fitting on some of the parts.

It isn't pretty but it is a runner.

Rick

Fishhunter, There are quite a few designs available, I'd vote for a Pug engine. It was designed by Paul whom is a member of this forum. His drawings are in the download section. A very quaint engine of a standard eccentric driven valve and nice proportions.

BC1
Jim

I know you said you already have a wobbler.... I did Elmer's "Tiny" with an Atlas 618 and a 15" drill press. If you want to challenge yourself you can do what I did and scale "Tiny" down to 1/2 size with the same equipment. It's a whole other world when you scale it down. In my opinion the challenge factor goes up exponentially.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=4524.msg46846#msg46846

Fish
At one time I'd have thought there were limits to what you could do with a drill press and lathe. That was until I met a fellow in North Carolina who works undr just those limitations and produces work anyone would envy. He's made a number of extremely authentic classic hit and miss engines, but his latest project blew everyone away.

His latest was an oiler type hit and miss driven traction engine measuring 21 inches from stem to stern. He rolled his wheels around oxygen bottles to form them and gave each the classic Case style spokes. His drive system is from a modified setof gears from a reel type lawn mower. The engine has everything you'd want on one, right down to a working water pump.

He's completely proven that lack of tools is not a limiting factor.... lack of imagination is.

You'd have to see his Hit and Miss engine, made from an old automotive brake master cylinder to believe it. I'd seen it several times before realizing it was not a kit, but his own ingenious design. Unfortunately Bill is quite publicity shy and won't let photos of his work be posted on line. Seems he's concerned people might laugh at his efforts. Yeah..... right!!!

Steve

If you are just looking for a challenge, build a Miser Sterling. I don't remember mill work required on several Sterlings but they are a real challenge to get running.

I keep running back to Loco's - which was my intent on this journey in the first place (build my skills so that I can build the santa fe 2-10-4 in 1.6" scale i Have the drawings for..)

I really like those little G1 loco's I think I may just travel down that road...

On the other hand, the Pug looks interesting, I printed the plans so I can convert 'em to imperial in Solidworks ;D

Keep those ideas coming, I knew I was asking the right folks!

Where can I get the drawings for that centaur???? I googledpictures of it an it may just hit the nail on the head.

I'm not real interested in Sterlings, they just don't seem like "real" engines to me ;) (no offence inteded at all!!!)

thefishhunter said:
I keep running back to Loco's - which was my intent on this journey in the first place (build my skills so that I can build the santa fe 2-10-4 in 1.6" scale i Have the drawings for..)
I really like those little G1 loco's I think I may just travel down that road...

Wow, that Santa Fe sounds nice. I think my next loco is going to be something like the Brazil: http://www.geocities.com/minidampf/brazil_uk/contents.html

You can download the complete series of articles and drawings in a PDF HERE

Cedge said:
You'd have to see his Hit and Miss engine, made from an old automotive brake master cylinder to believe it. I'd seen it several times before realizing it was not a kit, but his own ingenious design. Unfortunately Bill is quite publicity shy and won't let photos of his work be posted on line. Seems he's concerned people might laugh at his efforts. Yeah..... right!!!

I for one would love to see that. Having to watch the budget I am all for things that use what would otherwise be thrown out. I'm sure I speak for many others too. I do understand how he feels though and very often delete a post I have written for fear of looking silly. But if you didn't laugh why would anyone else? Even if they did so what?
Please please show us. We need more make do and mend in this society today.

Peter, :bow:

I dont have the plans, im sure somebody does, but the James engine called the HEX, made from .875 Al hex stock and uses Cox .049 heads, cylinders, pistons, and rods.

image569.jpg

sorry I forgot, there are 3 mill cuts, but they can be done with a hack saw. they have to be filed anyway to get the right vacume for fuel.

I built this with an 8" lathe (7" will do) and drill press, milling was done using a vertical slide on the lathe. The Designer even did all the drilling for his on the lathe.

Minnie3.jpg

Model Engine Builder mag has drawings for teh HEX engine.

Model Engineer has just started a build of a 3 1/2gauge loco that does not need a mill if you want to go for a loco. Just watch the drawings as there are some errors, see the posts on ME Forum

Jason

Jason,

That is simply amazing. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bob

Latest posts

Back