Chain Source

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majorm

Reaction score
Are there any sources for small chains and sprokets to use as various drives. Something smaller than a bike chain is kind of what I thought about. I thought if I ever made anything with some size an oring or something similar wouldnt have the bite to not slip. I guess a toothed belt could be an option too. So where are yall finding these parts other than from various equipment if you dont make them?

some old copiers are a source for small chains and sprockets, brakes and and electro magnetic clutches

What size do you need? you probably want to look for fusee chain used in old clocks and watches.
Tin

Here's an instance where it would be so helpful to be able to see the country of residence. In the USA there is Berg Co. http://www.wmberg.com/ , SPI/Small Parts Inc, and a couple of others whose catalogues I can't see from where I am at the moment.

Those were some great links and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

GWRdriver: I just updated my profile info so the location info is there now. I usually have that there so I must have just missed it on this forum. Thanks for the heads up as it is good info to have when people are asking for supplier type info.

This is claimed by Tsubaki to be the smallest roller chain in the world.

chain.jpg

It is very expensive but I am using it in my gauge 1 model of a Merchant Navy class locomotive which had chain driven valve gear.

I have had to make the sprockets , which was a very interesting project in itself.
Starting out by making a dividing device I tried using my hand shaping machine with profiled cutters ,moving on to milling with profiled circular cutters

sprocket.jpg

before finally discovering a way to machine them using an end mill.

sprocket2.jpg

The engine uses three sprockets for the drive , one on the crank axle.

crank.jpg

one on the eccentric shaft and one on the transfer shaft

transfer.jpg

The crank axle sprocket acts as a "slip eccentric" for reversing the locomotive.

crank1.jpg

All of the sprockets are made of steel that can be hardened and tempered to minimise wear.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back