castiron brazing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cessna

Reaction score
I made a couple of steam cyls but cut the intake and exhaust slots slightly off, I brazed them shut and tried re cutting. I broke two 1/8 end mills and one drill bit, even drilling into the brass is really tough. My question is does cast iron and brazing rod become very hard after brazing? I did'nt seem to have any trouble cutting the first time before brazing.
Terry

As you have found out yes it does. Try heating it to red then cool off slowly.

Hi Terry,
I don't know the measurements or configuration of your cylinder but it might be possible to take a cut from the face, say .062, and make an intermediate plate with the port location corrected.
gbritnell

the composition & structure of the metal changes quite a bit in the HAZ, you may be able to bring it back aif you can heat & cool very slowly, but probably less work to either remake or take more time machining

Thanks for the replies, I have considered making up an intermediate plate as suggested, I just found it amazing how hard even the brass became.
Terry

If the cast iron cooled rapidly, it may well have hardened. I can't explain the brass though. Are you sure it's not bronze? Some bronze alloys can be a bear to machine. The bronze alloy locks up all the slip planes in the microstructure so there are no natural cleavage lines.

No I don't think it would be bronze, it was just ordinary flux coated brazing rod. I put the cyl in my small forge and heated till red, shut the forge down and closed it up with the cyl inside to allow it cool slowly, I then tried drilling the brass again and promptly broke another drill bit. I am doing as George suggested and milling about sixty thou off and making up a plate to cover the poor machining I did.
Terry

cessna said:
it was just ordinary flux coated brazing rod.

Terry,

If memory serves me correctly, (and that's not a given these days), the above is tobin bronze.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob, I wasn't aware it was bronze, maybe that explains my broken tools.
Terry

Latest posts

Back