Castings I did yesterday

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alphawolf45

Reaction score
These 4 parts are nearly 3.5 across and half inch thick..If I had to mill them from solid round brass or bronze barstock that size it would be close to 200 dollars for a foot long chunk of the stuff (when I only need 2 plus inchs) whereas I cast this from copper and brass and bronze scraps that all got thrown in the pot....Is for my steam engine build.

eccentric flask.jpg

CallMeAL said:
Nice work.
Thanks Al..This is all great fun..I'm on here to share the enthusiasm,..I especially like sandcast appearance

Stack of 4.jpg

way to go, I'd heard copper alloys were difficult to cast vs say AL - any special hints, tips etc on the process?

Mcgyver said:
way to go, I'd heard copper alloys were difficult to cast vs say AL - any special hints, tips etc on the process?

Well sure yeah I know whats caused me most of my brass casting problems, I didnt get it hot enough..The furnace I had used for literally hundreds of aluminum castings wouldnt get hot enough to melt copper alloys in reasonable short time... I finally built hotter furnace with brass casting capability as a priority....Aside from that I know nothing...All 4 of these castings come out usable, 4 of 4 , thats new record for me for brass...sometimes I had gotten 4 UN-usable brass castings in a row..

Looking good! I to have experienced difficulties in casting bronze and copper. I can't believe people did this stuff hundreds of years ago. My main problem also was not getting the melt hot enough. I built a Pyrometer and solved this. Ounce I started getting things hotter, I was having fun. I seem to get better looking castings in bronze and brass? I think it flows better? I can post a picture and description of my Pyrometer if any are interested.

Again, Great job!

Later, Wes

I'll post some pictures tonight then:eek:) It was easy to build with parts I got off of Ebay.

later, Wes

Very nice castings.

I also like your small round flask. Every time I want to cast a small part, I end up filling a flask that must weigh at least 60lbs full!

Wes: I'm also awaiting your pyrometer report :)

-Brian

sparky961 said:
Very nice castings.

I also like your small round flask. Every time I want to cast a small part, I end up filling a flask that must weigh at least 60lbs full!

-Brian
Brian glad you noticed the round flasks. I am lazy so originated that flask construction method to speed up the obligatory flask building .Any tube of aluminum or steel is actually a half finished casting flask.
I also made several even smaller flasks made from short lengths of 2 by 4 inch aluminum tube. Very handy for small castings..didnt take but little while to make them and they dont take up much room in storage..

rectangular flask.jpg

I got the pictures taken and the info found last night but I ran out of time last night. I'll get it posted tonight:eek:)

Wes

Back