Cast iron cylinder sleeve for IC engines.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xo18thfa

Reaction score
I have a set of plans for a Jerry Howell "Bill" engine. The cylinder is a water jacket type with a cast iron sleeve: 1" bore, 1/16" wall, 2.5" long.

Is something like that commercially available, or do you whittle one out of solid?

Thanks, Bob

I'd use a lathe.... cast iron doesn't whittle up a shaving curler worth a damn... (grin)

Steve

Bob,
If you use cast iron you have to turn it from solid. It you want to consider something other than cast iron, you might consider DOM (drawn over mandrel) steel tubing. The ID only needs honing if it is close enough to your ID requirements. It is available in .995" and 1.000" ID from OnLineMetals.com

Jeff

Rustkolector said:
Bob,
If you use cast iron you have to turn it from solid. It you want to consider something other than cast iron, you might consider DOM (drawn over mandrel) steel tubing. The ID only needs honing if it is close enough to your ID requirements. It is available in .995" and 1.000" ID from OnLineMetals.com

Jeff

Thanks. That is a much better way to go.

Bob,
I have a couple of pieces of DOM in various sizes. let me know what you need and you can have it.

Sean

Instead of using cast iron for cylinder liners, I've had success using steel tubes from old shock absorbers. The one I chose was exactly 1 inch diameter, was accurately ground, seemed very hard and made a perfect cylinder liner for my Webster engine. Anyone heard of using old shocks for liners?. I'm a newcomer to the hobby.

yes they are great i have a stock on hand wish i had got more as the repair shop is now out of business

Latest posts

Back