Cast boiler components

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizen004

Reaction score
Gentlemen

I am proposing to build a gauge 3 model of a small 1900 bagnal steam loco. The original is small - 12' long and 6' high - cute!

It will be steam powered and have and have a marine type boiler - the combustion chamber is a larger tube offset from the main barrel - and it seems to me that this design lends itsef to a pair of cast bronze plates front and rear - would save a lot of work and look good

If the plates were sufficiently thick,and provided with a deep flange and subsequently silver soldered together would this be safe/ practical/ permissable etc.

Boiler to operate at 80 psi with a 160 psi test pressure

What is the view. Is cast material acceptable in a pressure vessle like this? If not why not? Or has it got to be bashed plates?

Ta

I'd be afraid of the end plates with just a sliver of silver to hold them on.

Much better on my nerves would a be a nice pair of stays added to the front and rear plates. Other than that I don't know much about the use of cast metal. If it were iron I would say NO, but bronze doens't have the same issues. I don't know what issues it does have either.

Voids in the casting would be the only thing to worry over after that.

Now let's hear from the experienced people. ;D

The use of cast end plates is not permitted under the Australian Model Boiler Safety Code.

Maybe it's just me but to make a mold, cast the plate, bore it out for the flue seems like a lot more work than copper plates bored for the flue with the appropriate no of stays. Or do I completely misunderstand your question. ??? ???

I think kermit hit the nail on the head regarding the integrity of the casting.

Hope this helps ???

Best Regards
Bob

Some sort of mechanical fastening is required.
With out that support you may be building a bi-directional
pipe bomb.

Rick

Hello Chaps

I think I get the message! Flanged sheet ends it is

the idea was to rivet the ends in place onto a deep flange before brazing and with the holes for the three flue tubes cast in it would simplify the construction for a novice as there would be no machining to do at all.

But thanks for the advice - I shall take it!

Christopher

citizen004 said:
Hello Chaps

I think I get the message! Flanged sheet ends it is

the idea was to rivet the ends in place onto a deep flange before brazing and with the holes for the three flue tubes cast in it would simplify the construction for a novice as there would be no machining to do at all.

But thanks for the advice - I shall take it!

Christopher

Good thinking Christopher - the hand grenade has already been invented!

Back