Carriage stop indicator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnp101677

Reaction score
Does anyone have any plans that they really liked for a carriage stop indicator? I really want something that is simple to make, yet effective enough to get the job done accurately. I have considered the Trav-A-Dial's seen here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NIB-Vintage...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c531c8eee

but I'd rather not spend that much money right now. I have the tools and some ideas of my own to make something and use the indicator I have. I just want to see what other people have used that works well.

By the way, I have Logan 10" lathe.

Thanks,
Dan

I did this on my 12" Logan...

Picture008.jpg

It's clamped to the ways and can extend about 18" which is as long as MOST parts I do......a 2" stroke indicator would be better.

It works very well.

Dave

I can't offer any plans for that.
My approach is very low tech. My 9 X 20 lathe has a nice flat surface on top
of the gear box area. A strong mag base and reliable indicator fill that need
for me.

IndicatorStop.jpg

Rick

Did exactly the same as dave on my old Sabre,but it's not so easy on the Myford as the gearbox is in the way,but i do miss it so I must think of something.
Don

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Dave - it looks like you made some type of quick release for sliding the indicator back and forth. How whas that made? I like the idea of not having the move the whole unit.

dnp101677,

It's a cotter lock with an off the shelf ball handle from MSC.

The cotter is a round shaft that intersects the 3/8 rod by approximately .09".

The cotter is installed and like a bolt first in the hole. Then the bore for the 3/8 hole is is cut which cuts a small crescent from the cotter. ....

never mind .....I'll sketch it up......... :big:

Here it is.. It works great, though the design is ages old....

1/4 turn and it's locked and 1/4 turn and it's loose....no tools!

cottersketch.jpg

It's actually not that hard to make.....and worth the trouble.

Dave

Cool beans Steamer. C-o-C drawing is perfect!

I know....I have'nt updated to C-o-C V2.1 yet...so no color....

John would be agast..... 8)

Dave

Latest posts

Back