Cannons

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
I've been strugling to finish up a couple jobs that I've had for too long. One is a six pack of barrles. They were designed by my customer and myself. They are 4" diameter by 26" long with a 1.5" bore. There are 4 machined from Stainless and two that are 660 bronze. onn to the pictures.

Had some fun on the new CNC lathe at work.
SixPack004-1.jpg

Milling the pockets.
tropicossix005.jpg

tropicossix006.jpg

tropicossix007.jpg

tropicossix008.jpg

I have all the worrisome stuff done now. I need to make the trunnions and drill the fuse hole and polish them, then they'll be done.

Wes

Powder keg

they are beutiful!!!

last cannon i made i ended up fronting a beak ( judge )

lucky to get away with it without a charge but thats Oz for ya

nice to see the US is still sane that way

what mizzle style did you use with a 1.5" bore ?

and will you use the brass ones?? 1.5" bore is a large bore for brass

i would not use a hard ( large ) load with them, but i err to caution , just me eh..

well done anyway I look forward to see them mounted and firing

cheers

jack

Wes

Good to see you back on the board. Those are some really fine looking barrels. Post a photo or two of the proof firing!

Cheers, Joe

Beautifull work. Once upon a time---in a universe far far away---when I was about 14 years old, someone whispered to me the secrets of potassium nitrate, charcoal, and sulphur. My best buddies oldest brother worked in the uranium mines, and brought home a bunch of great big steel balls out of a bearing on one of the crushers. It didn't take us very long to discover that these bearing balls were almost a perfect fit into a peice of 2" diameter water pipe.----And the rest is history. The fact that I am here 48 years later to type this, is surely sign of Divine Providence. ;D ;D ;D

Big! and Beautiful!

What is the mid barrel hole for?

Wes you had better get them polished up fast!
Those finishes are repulsive! ???

Beautiful works! :bow:

Rick

Big! and Beautiful!

What is the mid barrel hole for?

Trunnion

Doh! of course, I assumed thru hole for some reason.

Many years ago, a friend of mine had a '57 Chevy Bel Air. One day he decided he didn't like the trim in front of the hood's "gun ports" and removed it, which left two gaping holes in the hood. They were quickly fitted with a brace of cut off .50 cal air cooled barrels and heat shields. (I didn't ask where he got them and he didn't volunteer the information.) The cops got used to them but traffic didn't.

I was thinking about that when I saw those gun barrels and thought it would be fun to mount one on the hood of the Jeep. I'm not sure how well that would go over but it'd be fun anyway. Or to mount so it's peeking over the lanai rail.

Best regards,

Kludge

Do I see a chuck key left in a chuck? :)
...lew... (I know it's not a spinning one)

I knew some smarty would point that out;o) I did take it out after the pict before I started the mill up.

Wes

Very nice linear engine Wes. I assume that it would be classed as a 2 cycle as every outward stroke is a power stroke. Pistons will probably have limited life and have to be replaced regularly. Cycle time will probably be fairly slow also.

Keep us posted as to progress.

Gail in NM,USA

Gail,

If Mr Newton was correct maybe a 1 cycle ::) and watch your tootsies on the second half.
sm199.gif

Seriously Powder keg that is beautiful work
mgeye-popping.gif
and I can't quite seem to grasp the need for polishing.
headscratch.gif

Best Regards
Bob

That is nice work. Been wanting to build one that shoots golf balls(I live out in the country with lots of room around) but have too many other projects started right now. Some day. Again those are very nice.

Latest posts

Back