Canadian CX701 lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Are there any Canadians on here with a CX701 lathe from BusyBee Tools? I only have 110 volts available in my small machine shop, with no possibility of a 220 circuit. I have seen this lathe on their sales floor in Barrie, and it a very impressive looking machine. It is the biggest lathe I have found that runs on 110 volt. I plan on buying one in two weeks unless I hear of any major horror stories with it.----Brian
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-lathe-12in-x28in-with-digital-readout.html

Reactions: gus
Looks like everybody with problems online have electrical issues (loose wire terminals).

Does the one you are looking at have the dc motor?

This is the same as the Warco 290V here in the UK. I have had it's smaller sibling for a number years without problems. There is a review of the WM 250 on my website. These lathes are from Weiss in China. The latest models have VFD drives which are reported to be much better than the older versions with DC motors. Quite a few people in the UK report problems with lack of low speed power and worn brushes with the DC version. That said the overall engineering on mine is quite good, wish I had the power cross-feed on mine.

Good luck with the new lathe.

John

Last edited:
Lack or torque is not really a problem once you get used to them, I stalled mine once when it was new and I was learning what I could do with it. Now I just take a slightly shallower cut but run it faster so no real difference in time taken between one 0.050" cut at 100rpm or two passes of 0.025" at 200rpm

10.5" iron flywheel cut OK

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2kPSYxB8cQ[/ame]

EDIT, with the 1.5Kw motor it sounds like you will have the AC motor with inverter control, so better torque than mine

Brian
I don't 701 but I have the 700 and it shares the same lineage as the one you are looking at. Weight was an issue for me and I had to chose lighter.I am totally happy with mine. It lacks serious low end grunt but has done every thing I have had to do just fine.

this is in your neck of the woods may be worth a look.. it seems to have a taper attachment as well

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/standard-modern-lathe-lathe/k0l9004?origin=rs

Bert

Mygrizzly---thank you for the link. I spent the first 3/4 of my life buying other peoples used stuff because that was all I could afford. In this last 1/4, I buy new stuff. Still---I ponder a lot before I spend the money.----Brian

That might be the same BB model a guy around here has. If so, one quirk he experienced was replacing the stock tool post with a typical dovetail or piston style quick change / holder type. Typically the are sizes A,B,C.. by bracketed swing capacity. He wanted to run 5/8" shanked tools so picked the tool post based on the lathes swing (for example B).

But sounds like that compound sits relatively high for a lathe that size & kind of boxed his options. Either getting the smallest size post (which then limited his tooling) or modifying the tooling blocks on the next bigger model so the would e low enough (pita). Hopefully I have the story straight.

I have a little confusion going here, and I will try to resolve it tomorrow when BusyBee is open. The motor is listed one place as having 1.5 HP 1.1 Kw 110 volt and 12.3 amp. 4600 rpm. In another place it is listed as being 1.5 HP 1.1 Kw 90 volt DC and 12.3 amp with 4600 RPM. It is possible that both are correct, meaning that the motor is 90 volt DC and required 110 volt AC to operate the system. I am not an electrical guru, so I can't say much about it right now.

A 90 volt DC motor running off 110 ac line voltage is fairly common. The motor controller rectifies the the current and sends out dc pulses to control speed. Thus the term pulse width modulator.

Or it could be that lathe was shipped both ways either should run of 110 house voltage.
Tin

I have a little confusion going here, and I will try to resolve it tomorrow when BusyBee is open. The motor is listed one place as having 1.5 HP 1.1 Kw 110 volt and 12.3 amp. 4600 rpm. In another place it is listed as being 1.5 HP 1.1 Kw 90 volt DC and 12.3 amp with 4600 RPM. It is possible that both are correct, meaning that the motor is 90 volt DC and required 110 volt AC to operate the system. I am not an electrical guru, so I can't say much about it right now.

Brian
it`s the same thing first it`s 120 and not 110.
and 120 volts ac x.707 give you = 84.84 dc.
and 84.84 dc x square roots of 2 = 120. volts ac

cheers

I looked at the 701 as i liked the quick change gear box, didn't like the small belt drive on the 701, i opted for the CT089 110 vac, comes with stand 701 doesn't. it's been a great lathe, good power

I have made .100" full depth cuts in aluminium with no problems on my CT089

Just to save any confusion the 3 knobs on the front are not a full screwcutting gearbox. You get 2:1, 1:1 and 1:2 drive to the leadscrew or feed shaft so thats three different screw cutting pitches per setup of the change wheels. The other two knobs are to select left or right direction and screwcutting or feed.

I have taken 0.100" cuts on steel with my version of the 701:)

Is that full depth .100" for steel? so .200" over all. the other reason I went with the CT089 was the price, I bought the floor model $1500 and the fact that it comes with a stand even without the discount the CT089 is cheaper. 701 is on sale right now for $3299.00 reg $3599.00. The CT089 is $2799.00 reg $2999.00 plus it has 12.5 swing over bend compared to 11.5. The 701 is nice looking but I think the CT089 has better value

One other thing to mention is you get standard and metric dials with the CT089

Johnny--Thank you so much for stepping up and offering this information. The CT089 lathe from Busy Bee may be an even better choice for me than the CX701 and is in the same price range. I can not find many positive reviews on the CX701, but there are many very positive reviews on the CT089 lathe. It seems to do everything I need, has the same 1.5" spindle bore and power cross feed, and uses a "standard" 1 horsepower 110 volt AC drive motor. It is much heavier than the CX 701, and heaviness in a lathe means a more stable cut. I don't do a lot of threading, but this lathe certainly seems to offer a wide range of threading capabilities. (Weird that it doesn't offer 1"-8 tpi though.) I will go up to the Barrie BusyBee tomorrow and see if they have one on their sales floor.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-lathe-13in-x-24in-with-stand.html
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHRGfMFBjxo[/ame]

Last edited:
No problem Brian, like I said I have been very happy with this lathe.

Johnny--Thank you so much for stepping up and offering this information. The CT089 lathe from Busy Bee may be an even better choice for me than the CX701 and is in the same price range. I can not find many positive reviews on the CX701, but there are many very positive reviews on the CT089 lathe. It seems to do everything I need, has the same 1.5" spindle bore and power cross feed, and uses a "standard" 1 horsepower 110 volt AC drive motor. It is much heavier than the CX 701, and heaviness in a lathe means a more stable cut. I don't do a lot of threading, but this lathe certainly seems to offer a wide range of threading capabilities. (Weird that it doesn't offer 1"-8 tpi though.) I will go up to the Barrie BusyBee tomorrow and see if they have one on their sales floor.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-lathe-13in-x-24in-with-stand.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHRGfMFBjxo

That's what I had before changing to my 12x36 LOVVEEED it

Luc---I don't see a thread cutting dial on the CT089 lathe. I simply don't know enough about thread cutting to know if this is a problem or not. Is there a suitable work around to let you know when to engage the half nuts so that you don't start a new thread in a different position when you advance the cutting tool for a second or third pass?---Brian

Luc---I don't see a thread cutting dial on the CT089 lathe. I simply don't know enough about thread cutting to know if this is a problem or not. Is there a suitable work around to let you know when to engage the half nuts so that you don't start a new thread in a different position when you advance the cutting tool for a second or third pass?---Brian

Brian,
I could not answer this if my life depend on it.:D
I never purchase a lathe to make bolts, I get a good tapping set
to do that.
But if you will be satisfied whith a CT089 1000% sure you will
cheers

Latest posts

Back