Camshaft lifter guides on Silver Bullet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Charley from western NY
Has anybody had a problem locating the camshaft lifter bushings? I do not have enough room to drill and ream the holes straight. I have checked and rechecked dimension, every thing complies. I can not move center line out more without changing crankshaft to camshaft distance. The solution I have is take end mill and nick the side of block to be able to come straight down. I believe there is about 0.020 clearance I need. If someone has a different approach Iam all ears. Keep up the excellent work everyone does and always willing to help.

Charley

Charley,

I built a Silver Bullet probably 10 years ago and did not run into this problem. I found the center line of the upper part of the block casting, located the crank centerline off the block centerline, then located the cam bore and lifter bores out 0.856 horizontally from the crank centerline.
I suspect you did the same. Perhaps the block castings have changed over time and the top part of your cylinder block is wider and interferes with drilling the lifter bores. I just measured the upper part of my block casting. It is 1.41 inches wide.

Perhaps you could drill and ream the lifter bores from the underside.

Regards,

Chuck

Latest posts

Back