Silver bullet block

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been working on my silver bullet block, slight problem, well maybe more than slight. I have been following procedure's for squaring. but the raised part of the block where cylinder and head portion, was very distorted trapezoid shape. After going back and forth in a attempt to reach the dimensions given I was not able to square the narrow ends. The sides did come out good, BUT the center line is off the crank center line. I have enough room to move cylinder head bolts. There appears to be enough room in the bottom end to move the crank center line over perpendicular to piston center line and still get the camshaft and lifters aligned. Am I on the right page to proceed or do I have to do something else. This is my first small engine build, and I thought is was doing good, every thing to now was good. I even build a fixture to mount the block with mini clamps. any body got any directions.

Charley

Charley,

I've built a Silver Bullet, but I am not following which surface you "went back and forth on" to to reach the dimensions. Which dimensions? Can you post a photo of your block as it is currently machined? Do you need to move the crank center toward or away from the cam center? How much?

It sounds like you are on the right track if you have room to make the adjustments you mention.

Good luck. The Bullet is a dandy little engine.

Chuck

I am talking about the center line of the sleeves. there is .040 difference from that center line to the crankshaft center line. like I said the upper cylinder portion of the block was trapezoid shaped, and I had to work the sides in attempt to get desired dimension. along with sides parallel. Everything has come to desired
dimension except the one I described above. I am going to have to learn to take pictures so I can post them.
charley

Thank you . After I posted the problem and got back home from a fire call I went out in the shop and re measured the block to print dimensions I felt confident I was ok as I had not put bore for the crankshaft and camshaft in, and there was plenty of room to move to piston centerline. I really appreciate your help and everyone else. I really enjoy reading the post and ideas , from tremendous talented individuals. I have to learn to take picture so I can post them. I have made some of my fixtures. and I will like to post them for honest comment.

Charley

Latest posts

Back