CAD /Autocad Help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ginn

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just received an email to inform me that my version of Autocad LT 2012 will no longer be supported from July 2022. They usefully will let me continue to use the package but if I need to reload, Autocad, will not validate the licence so it will not load.
The question is - what should I do? I can purchase Autocad for $450/year or move to another package. I have downloaded Fusion360 but I am unsure how long that will be supported (for free). I really like Autocad since I have used it for many years. I have not used 3D and since I also have a CNC machine (Autocad/CamBam) one option would be to bite the bullet and learn Fusion from scratch.

I am is a state of shock! I would welcome any suggestions from the learned Forum.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

I bought a perpetual Acad license in 2004, and am still using it.
The fact that they no longer support the 2004 version is irrelevant to me.

So perhaps keep using it until the computer fails.

There have been some discussions about the best 2D/3D programs to use these days, but I can't advise you on that.

Last edited:
I have just received an email to inform me that my version of Autocad LT 2012 will no longer be supported from July 2022. They usefully will let me continue to use the package but if I need to reload, Autocad, will not validate the licence so it will not load.
The question is - what should I do? I can purchase Autocad for $450/year or move to another package. I have downloaded Fusion360 but I am unsure how long that will be supported (for free). I really like Autocad since I have used it for many years. I have not used 3D and since I also have a CNC machine (Autocad/CamBam) one option would be to bite the bullet and learn Fusion from scratch.

I am is a state of shock! I would welcome any suggestions from the learned Forum.

Many thanks in advance

Mike
My version is out of date by 22 years and still using today.

Do you still have the cd or pasword on your Autocad ?

Dave

Many thanks in advance

Mike
I also have Autocad 95 and still works on windows 11 64 bit today. It is 27 years old.

Dave

It's unfortunate that their "support" includes disabling a license after a certain calendar date, if that's what they mean in their licensing. Not getting updates would be fine. It doesn't cost anything for them to validate a license key online, and they'll continue to hemorrhage customers if it is the case. At least they'll give you time to get it on a decent machine for a last permanent install.

I upgraded Alibre from Atom to Pro over the weekend and have been very happy. I was on the fence at first, but now that I've hacked my way through a five hour(ish) project, I can highly recommend. Probably the best usability I've seen so far for modeling assemblies in context. There's a few missing bits that need workarounds, such as creating a plane between two surfaces, but I haven't found anything better in CAD for a "own your own tools" kind of software. Drafting is a little thin too but still good. May not be for you since you're in autocad. Coming from NX/SW/F360 I was able to work through without youtube and google-fu.

For my type of work, Alibre rounds off Rhino and Zbrush nicely for being able to model just about anything both affordably and fast. Others could chime in on CAM, but it is also supported.

Weekend train nerd project...
SD70.PNG

It's unfortunate that their "support" includes disabling a license after a certain calendar date, if that's what they mean in their licensing. Not getting updates would be fine. It doesn't cost anything for them to validate a license key online, and they'll continue to hemorrhage customers if it is the case. At least they'll give you time to get it on a decent machine for a last permanent install.

I upgraded Alibre from Atom to Pro over the weekend and have been very happy. I was on the fence at first, but now that I've hacked my way through a five hour(ish) project, I can highly recommend. Probably the best usability I've seen so far for modeling assemblies in context. There's a few missing bits that need workarounds, such as creating a plane between two surfaces, but I haven't found anything better in CAD for a "own your own tools" kind of software. Drafting is a little thin too but still good. May not be for you since you're in autocad. Coming from NX/SW/F360 I was able to work through without youtube and google-fu.

For my type of work, Alibre rounds off Rhino and Zbrush nicely for being able to model just about anything both affordably and fast. Others could chime in on CAM, but it is also supported.

Weekend train nerd project...
View attachment 136039
I own Autocad since 1995 and all versions are still working no disabling .
Works the same way as the day I purchased.

Dave

Reactions: Zeb

Many thanks in advance

Mike
I am curious if it is legal for Autocad to deny you the use of that program by deactivating a license. I know they can discontinue support but deactivating the license is a taking something you bought and paid for. It would be a very good question to ask a lawyer. A read of the fine print might be interesting. I know of no other product a company could come and take away after it was bought and paid for.

I am curious if it is legal for Autocad to deny you the use of that program by deactivating a license. I know they can discontinue support but deactivating the license is a taking something you bought and paid for. It would be a very good question to ask a lawyer. A read of the fine print might be interesting. I know of no other product a company could come and take away after it was bought and paid for.
I agree

Dave

I haven't read the fine print for Autocad, but it is very common now. It also depends on what terms you signed up for when you purchased. Older versions are going to be less prone to disabling, because it wasn't industry standard at the time. Fusion 360 had a mass exodus when the terms changed. People were frantically backing up their work. Then they backpedaled a bit and allowed users to at least access their old stuff without a paywall. That was a relief, but the damage was done.

Autodesk & Adobe have been on a subscription basis for years. Older versions of 3DSMax (Autodesk) have been purposely locked out as described above, so it does happen. Autodesk has very aggressive practices, such as buying competitors and running them out of business. I wouldn't trust them unless you were ok with a subscription. Substance Painter/Designer got bought out by Autodesk, but my old versions still work. It all depends on the fine print before acquisition I guess.

I haven't read the fine print for Autocad, but it is very common now. It also depends on what terms you signed up for when you purchased. Older versions are going to be less prone to disabling, because it wasn't industry standard at the time. Fusion 360 had a mass exodus when the terms changed. People were frantically backing up their work. Then they backpedaled a bit and allowed users to at least access their old stuff without a paywall. That was a relief, but the damage was done.

Autodesk & Adobe have been on a subscription basis for years. Older versions of 3DSMax (Autodesk) have been purposely locked out as described above, so it does happen. Autodesk has very aggressive practices, such as buying competitors and running them out of business. I wouldn't trust them unless you were ok with a subscription. Substance Painter/Designer got bought out by Autodesk, but my old versions still work. It all depends on the fine print before acquisition I guess.
I had update every few years as would change the DWG file as others would send me the new format.

Today I would buy a different brand to avoid the ever buying or renting.

Dave

From what I've read so far, Autocad software that uses online authentication will get bricked under their lifecycle policy. Back in 2020, they were phasing out 2010. If you have an old version before the days of authentication you can consider yourself lucky. Photoshop PS6 was still popular up until recently for the same reason.

Many thanks in advance

Mike
I use Alibre Pro and have for more than 10 years now but that level is not cheap. If you are a veteran, you can get the full suite of SolidWorks for $20 a year.

I think my "perpetual" (fingers crossed) Alibre license was $100 for atom on sale, then $580ish for upgrade to pro. Also on sale. Akin to buying a worn out lathe.
Makes me nervous that it does require activation, but they have a decent track record so far. I will cry if they get bought by Autodesk.
SW had a decent deal for EAA members for a while, but their brand is often a moving target of uncertainty.

I was lucky I bought software when I did.
I recall specifically asking the Acad sales guy about whether I would be able to reload my software if my computer failed.
He assured me that I could reload Acad, and that he was selling it with a perpetual license (2004 version).
He was correct, and I have had computers fail occasionally, and have been able to reload Acad without problems.

Autocad offers a program called DWGTrueView, which will convert newer Acad files back to older versions.
I would have problems if this were not available, since many folks have just blindly upgraded every year, and thus gotten into a subscription service, and I have to exchange files with them. They can open my files without conversion, and I can convert their files back to the 2004 version.

Solidworks does not offer a conversion program, and so there is no way for me to open any SW files created in a version later than 2012.
Luckily I have not had to share SW work files with anyone. On the hobby side, people have sent me SW files that I cannot open, and so that is a bummer. You get what you pay for I guess. I am ok with not being able to open later SW version files since I don't have an annual subscription, which can be over $1,000 per year. I can exchange STEP, STL, and I think IGES files with others, and can open those formats, but can't really do any significant editing (sometimes no editing at all) with those formats.

I purchased Solidworks in 2012, and at the time I contacted Acad and SW, and asked if there was a perpetual license, and a yearly fee.
Acad said yes to the yearly fee, which as I recall was a significant amount of money.
Solidworks offered a perpetual license, no yearly fee, and so the decision was simple.

You have to be very careful about transferring SW to another machine.
I had one machine begin to fail, and was able to connect it to the internet and unload SW.
They keep track of your SW loads in the clouds, and you have to explain every reload to them over the phone, and you better have a good excuse.

I needed SW for work, otherwise I would have gone with Alibre.

Many thanks in advance

Mike
By Alibre. It is 100$ for a perpetual liscence for the basic model. It is strong enough to do most basic drafting but does not doo that CNC stuff. It's not perfect but I likes it.

Guys thank you so much for your rapid replies - the power of OUR Forum!
I few things to clarify:-
I do have AutoCad LT 2012 running and I am aware that it will continue to run provided I don't need to reload and thats the rub. I normally rebuild my main computer about every 8 months (Don't ask!) and I always do a clean reload onto a fresh HD or more usually a SSD. Thats my issue. If I need to rebuild I will lose AutoCad.
I have a copy of Autocad LT 98 and also 2000 with all the keys and official media BUT I cannot get these to run on W10 in compatibility mode. (it simply says that it cannot run on my PC and 2000 says it cannot fine ACLT.EXE. I have Autocad 2000 running on a XP machine (linked to the CNC) and I tried to copy the ACLT file and place it into the same location in W10 but the 2000 message said it was not valid. Autocad 2000 would solve my problems - if I could get it to run.

So my question is:- has anyone been able to run 2000 or 98 in compatibly mode in W10 and if so how did you do it? Dave, did you load 95 onto W11?

Several of you guys seem to rate Alibre which I have never tried.

HMEL makes the point regarding the legality of Autocads decision. In my view I purchase a licence and not ownership and after 10 years of usage I think I would have called it a day regarding supporting activation on legacy systems. That however does not solve my issue or for that matter make me feel warm inside towards AutoCad!!

BTW I am not against paying for a package but for my very limited usage $400/year is too much. I would much prefer a one-off payment ideally around $100

Mike

Take a look at Progecad on line. They have (had?) a free trial version that does all the 2d stuff just like LT, and it will handle all your old .dwg files. I was in a similar situation. When you go to download it, be very careful to read the fine print and get the free limited capability non-business version. I did that a few years ago. It still validated with the website, but I haven't been charged a penny and I use it almost every day.

Guys thank you so much for your rapid replies - the power of OUR Forum!
I few things to clarify:-
I do have AutoCad LT 2012 running and I am aware that it will continue to run provided I don't need to reload and thats the rub. I normally rebuild my main computer about every 8 months (Don't ask!) and I always do a clean reload onto a fresh HD or more usually a SSD. Thats my issue. If I need to rebuild I will lose AutoCad.
I have a copy of Autocad LT 98 and also 2000 with all the keys and official media BUT I cannot get these to run on W10 in compatibility mode. (it simply says that it cannot run on my PC and 2000 says it cannot fine ACLT.EXE. I have Autocad 2000 running on a XP machine (linked to the CNC) and I tried to copy the ACLT file and place it into the same location in W10 but the 2000 message said it was not valid. Autocad 2000 would solve my problems - if I could get it to run.

So my question is:- has anyone been able to run 2000 or 98 in compatibly mode in W10 and if so how did you do it? Dave, did you load 95 onto W11?

Several of you guys seem to rate Alibre which I have never tried.

HMEL makes the point regarding the legality of Autocads decision. In my view I purchase a licence and not ownership and after 10 years of usage I think I would have called it a day regarding supporting activation on legacy systems. That however does not solve my issue or for that matter make me feel warm inside towards AutoCad!!

BTW I am not against paying for a package but for my very limited usage $400/year is too much. I would much prefer a one-off payment ideally around $100

Mike
I run Autocad 2000 LT and Autocad 95 on Windows 11 64 bit on my new laptop.

Dave

Learning F360 would be a good option, but Autodesk has disabled a lot of the CAM functions in the "free" version. They are all available in the "paid" version of F360.

I've been using ACAD for 30+ years and I have a hard time with F360, it just doesn't "FEEL" right. Of course that may have a something to do with the fact that I haven't really dedicated enough time to get used to F360 yet either.

I think ACADLT 2012 is old enough that you still got the license file along with the installation disc/s. If that's the case then ACAD stopping support of that version just means that you won't be able to call Autodesk anymore if you have a problem. They won't be able to turn off your application. But if you do have a problem where you need support then GOOGLE because somebody else has probably had the same problem.

Mike, a couple of thoughts (which you may already have thought and discarded, but just in case):

1) Use a virtual machine to keep running XP or any other version of Windows - assuming you have a copy of that version of Windows that you can use. Running it in a VM without network connections will keep it safe despite not being updated, but still be conveniently available on your primary machine. I run VirtualBox and have both Windows XP and Windows 10 virtual machines available, though the last thing I needed XP for is on its way out. I also have a Windows 7 image; haven't used it in a long time, but it is still there if I ever do need it.

2) See if an open-source alternative would fit your needs. I have heard it said that using LibreCAD is somewhat similar to using ACAD - I don't know if that is true, since I've only used ACAD for about 5 minutes one time. I would think that a current version of LibreCAD would probably have at least all of the features that a 10 or 20 year old version of ACAD had - ? Again, don't know if that is true.

And one more thought that has already begun to be discussed above:

3) Use the opportunity to make the transition from 2D to 3D CAD. Make no mistake; it IS a transition; you have to learn a new way of thinking about the design process. For me a way to describe it is that I had to learn to model something rather than to make drawings of something. One can then turn the model into 2D drawings as needed, but that needs to be a later step, not the first step as in 2D.

The discussion above has explored some of the pros and cons of different commercial packages. If you dig around on the forum, you will find other extended discussions that include the pros and cons of open-source alternatives. I personally use the latter (FreeCAD), and it does everything I need as a hobbyist.

Pros: free and open source, so not going to get taken behind a paywall; ability to read and write in a huge variety of formats (STEP, IGES, etc.); has CAM features built in (which I have not yet had occasion to use, so can't speak to how adequate they may or may not be); tons of on-line tutorials; undegoing rapid development, so always getting better.

Cons: undergoing rapid development, so many of the on-line tutorials may be slightly or greatly out of date; for the same reason, the user interface is not always consistent from one workbench (module) to another; will not have all of the features and capabilities of the top commercial products. Some people say it is hard to learn, but in many cases, my sense is that the primary issue is not FreeCAD specifically, but rather transitioning to 3D CAD.

Obviously, different people's mileage will vary, but for me and what I need at this point, the pros far outweigh the cons. Yes, definitely a learning curve, but for me it was definitely at least as much or more about learning to think 3D as it was about learning FreeCAD. There are times when I see a tutorial on Fusion360 that I think, "Oh, I wish FreeCAD did it that way - that's easier" ... but there also times when I think, "Oh, that's an awkward way to do that; FreeCAD is so much easier."

Latest posts

Back