CAD /Autocad Help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a user of this program right now, but I foresee this will be my future solution.
3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers | SOLIDWORKS
Cost is 100$ per year very affordable in my opinion
I currently use ironcad innovate! This is a very expensive program and I have not paid for updates in a couple years.
I plan to use it until I get my investment out then change to this program. And I can only hope this will still available and still costs about the same.
Anyway this might solve some of the problems here and allow some people access to modern cad tools!

Guys - thank you for all your advice and encouragement. I have now managed to get AutoCad 2000 working.

Initially I loaded VirtualBox 6.1 and got XP working and AC98 but couldn't upgrade to 2000 (I need the dxf feature)

I uninstalled VB and then enabled the Microsoft Hyper-V feature and again loaded XP followed by AC98 all using ISO files. I ensured that AC98 was in a known file location and I then loaded (ISO) 2000 into the same folder and it worked.

The downside is that XP is designed for square CRT displays which also applied to AC. I will look into using W7 32bit if I can find a valid key.

There is a very good video on Hyper-V ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbK_e1egT54 ) which is for W11. The W10 version is similar but some of the options are in different places - thank you Microsoft!

Conclusion: - It works, is usable if necessary, not that easy to install. I would also say that you would need to be familiar with some of the more obscure features of windows.

Now to cut some metal!

Have a great weekend

Mike

Guys - thank you for all your advice and encouragement. I have now managed to get AutoCad 2000 working.

Initially I loaded VirtualBox 6.1 and got XP working and AC98 but couldn't upgrade to 2000 (I need the dxf feature)

I uninstalled VB and then enabled the Microsoft Hyper-V feature and again loaded XP followed by AC98 all using ISO files. I ensured that AC98 was in a known file location and I then loaded (ISO) 2000 into the same folder and it worked.

The downside is that XP is designed for square CRT displays which also applied to AC. I will look into using W7 32bit if I can find a valid key.

There is a very good video on Hyper-V ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbK_e1egT54 ) which is for W11. The W10 version is similar but some of the options are in different places - thank you Microsoft!

Conclusion: - It works, is usable if necessary, not that easy to install. I would also say that you would need to be familiar with some of the more obscure features of windows.

Now to cut some metal!

Have a great weekend

Mike
I the square look can be a setting or display card driver.
I have full screen when I use VB on XP.

FYI I did find a different from windows 10 to 11 in the VB.
For some reason windows 11 likes the version 5 better than 6.1 and windows 10 likes 6.1

Dave

Just as an FYI:

Anyone looking for a free or inexpensive 2D software package may want to check out Nanocad. They have a free version that you can download and use, as well as some modestly priced ($100-$200 US) versions with added capability. They of course have more costly versions, but if you need mostly 2D capabilities for your own use, it may be just the thing. It looks similar and functions almost exactly like Autocad, so if you know Autocad this will feel very familiar.

I have a full version of Alibre, but find Nanocad very useful when I am mostly needing to do 2D drafting sort of tasks. You can find more info here:

https://nanocad.com/products/nanocad-free/

interesting - I'll have a look at Nanocad which I have never heard of before.
Dave : - I tried all the screen resolution settings and non improved the situation. I agree that the graphic card is probably the issue. It's an old Dell 390 machine with on-board graphics and a SSD. I use this computer to tryout and experiment with software - hence the name - Stunt Computer! I am going to see if I can move W7 32bit from another old machine to allow me to re-use the key. I have never done this before but I am told it is possible - watch this space.
Mike

I have downloaded, installed, and tested NanoCAD. It works great and has great similarity to older versions of AutoCAD. I love it. HOWEVER, it is a RUSSIAN product and I will probably remove it from my computer because of that.

interesting - I'll have a look at Nanocad which I have never heard of before.
Dave : - I tried all the screen resolution settings and non improved the situation. I agree that the graphic card is probably the issue. It's an old Dell 390 machine with on-board graphics and a SSD. I use this computer to tryout and experiment with software - hence the name - Stunt Computer! I am going to see if I can move W7 32bit from another old machine to allow me to re-use the key. I have never done this before but I am told it is possible - watch this space.
Mike
I only use the VB on Windows 8, 10 and 11 64 bit.
you can move the box just go to file and select Export. Then you can import to next computer.
Some time you may need to change some settings after importing but saves a lot time setting up.

You can also download DoubleCad XT5 it is free from TurboCad

Dave

Another 2D Cad product that is free is QCAD. It's a German prouct

Carl

I have just received an email to inform me that my version of Autocad LT 2012 will no longer be supported from July 2022. They usefully will let me continue to use the package but if I need to reload, Autocad, will not validate the licence so it will not load.
The question is - what should I do? I can purchase Autocad for $450/year or move to another package. I have downloaded Fusion360 but I am unsure how long that will be supported (for free). I really like Autocad since I have used it for many years. I have not used 3D and since I also have a CNC machine (Autocad/CamBam) one option would be to bite the bullet and learn Fusion from scratch.

I am is a state of shock! I would welcome any suggestions from the learned Forum.

Many thanks in advance

Mike
Here is screen shot of VB
I can not take a screen shot in full screen but show what can do.

Dave

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    163.9 KB · Views: 78
Putting aside the Russian connection for a moment, NanoCAD works just like Autocad. I could only use it in Demo mode. When I tried to register it I received the 404 notification - not sure why.

I'll have a look at the other packages which have been suggested - I really had no idea they existed since I was so content with AutoCAD. There is of course the nagging feeling that I should be on the path of 3D but my question to myself is - can I afford the time investment to learn a new way of life! I am sure my wife would have a view - if she was asked which might not happen!!!!
Mike

Probably forbidden... But find a copy of 2007, there are several out there. Or buy a copy of ProgeCAD. It is a very close AutoCAD clone and comes with a few extras. Last copy they bought at work was $500. Perpetual license. I use it to handle some conversions - from PDF to CAD or from STL to DWG. I would use it more, but there are a few differences in the VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) that prevent the CAM programs I have written from running the same. Probably would not affect 99% of CAD users. ProgeCAD is full 2D and 3d just like AutoCAD.

Putting aside the Russian connection for a moment, NanoCAD works just like Autocad. I could only use it in Demo mode. When I tried to register it I received the 404 notification - not sure why.

I'll have a look at the other packages which have been suggested - I really had no idea they existed since I was so content with AutoCAD. There is of course the nagging feeling that I should be on the path of 3D but my question to myself is - can I afford the time investment to learn a new way of life! I am sure my wife would have a view - if she was asked which might not happen!!!!
Mike
My wire would say something .
So I use my old copy of Autocad 2000. I have working in Windows 10 & 11 also in VB too.

Dave

I have just received an email to inform me that my version of Autocad LT 2012 will no longer be supported from July 2022. They usefully will let me continue to use the package but if I need to reload, Autocad, will not validate the licence so it will not load.
The question is - what should I do? I can purchase Autocad for $450/year or move to another package. I have downloaded Fusion360 but I am unsure how long that will be supported (for free). I really like Autocad since I have used it for many years. I have not used 3D and since I also have a CNC machine (Autocad/CamBam) one option would be to bite the bullet and learn Fusion from scratch.

I am is a state of shock! I would welcome any suggestions from the learned Forum.

Many thanks in advance

Mike
I guess everyone wants to sell a subscription these days...Cash stream -vs- one time purchase. I'm old enough to want to have my own software and files on my own computer. I started using Partmaster by Dolphin a decade ago at a place I worked to do some 2-1/2 axis milling. Have purchased it for my own use a few years back. When their support modified a post processor promptly, without charge, I grew some respect.
They offer a not overly complicated CAD system, "Partmaster" which has a modest CAM CNC Mill and post processor program up to packages that include a modest solid modeler in the CAD and CAM modules for CNC Mill Pro, CNC Lathe and CNC WIRE EDM. As I use the Mill and Wire EDM modules occasionally for work, I opted for that package. As I get older I wanted to use something I could be familiar with and not struggle to keep learning new software. Maybe something of interest for someone interested in a simpler CAD/CAM package. Starts at $395.00 US
Regards,
Ken

Reactions: Zeb
I guess everyone wants to sell a subscription these days...Cash stream -vs- one time purchase. I'm old enough to want to have my own software and files on my own computer. I started using Partmaster by Dolphin a decade ago at a place I worked to do some 2-1/2 axis milling. Have purchased it for my own use a few years back. When their support modified a post processor promptly, without charge, I grew some respect.
They offer a not overly complicated CAD system, "Partmaster" which has a modest CAM CNC Mill and post processor program up to packages that include a modest solid modeler in the CAD and CAM modules for CNC Mill Pro, CNC Lathe and CNC WIRE EDM. As I use the Mill and Wire EDM modules occasionally for work, I opted for that package. As I get older I wanted to use something I could be familiar with and not struggle to keep learning new software. Maybe something of interest for someone interested in a simpler CAD/CAM package. Starts at $395.00 US
Regards,
Ken
I would call it rent on your work.
If stop paying the rent all files are not usable.
I own all my software
They have try to stop use by new windows.

FYI There is a lot CAD programs under $100.00 that can be purchased. They do lack some of Autocad parts but will do job and no renting.

I just have used Autocad for 27 years and use to how works..

Dave

Last edited:
Yes, Dolphin may be a possible consideration for someone seeking a CAM system as well as CAD. I still own a CNC bridgeport knee mill and an old Agie DEM 315 Wire EDM.
I last used Autocad 2010 and 2012 at work a decade ago, great program. A decade or so earlier, Autodesk offered a simple Cad program for a while, before Autocad lite came out, called Autosketch. I owned it in the late 80's for business. Ran on a, then fast at the time, 286 chip with a math co-processor. In 2000 I was trained to use Pro E and it's CAM module for work in Mold design / construction. I was much younger then and it still took a good 6 months of working with it frequently to begin to become semi proficient. I could not afford to own, update or pay maintaince on high end software. Besides, the older I get, the less easy it is to remember needed details of operating more complex systems. Good to stay with what one knows as we age.
Regards,
Ken

Reactions: Zeb
Yes, Dolphin may be a possible consideration for someone seeking a CAM system as well as CAD. I still own a CNC bridgeport knee mill and an old Agie DEM 315 Wire EDM.
I last used Autocad 2010 and 2012 at work a decade ago, great program. A decade or so earlier, Autodesk offered a simple Cad program for a while, before Autocad lite came out, called Autosketch. I owned it in the late 80's for business. Ran on a, then fast at the time, 286 chip with a math co-processor. In 2000 I was trained to use Pro E and it's CAM module for work in Mold design / construction. I was much younger then and it still took a good 6 months of working with it frequently to begin to become semi proficient. I could not afford to own, update or pay maintaince on high end software. Besides, the older I get, the less easy it is to remember needed details of operating more complex systems. Good to stay with what one knows as we age.
Regards,
Ken
I agree.
Still have my drafting tools just incase

Dave

The greatest architecture, machines, everyday things were conceived on paper.
Or burlap, or a piece of bark..
Marks in the dirt..

I still play with my old Dietzgen (Sp?) set of drafting tools.

When I was in "tech school" (in the 80's, pre-CAD), I was in the Tool & Die program, drafting was across the hall. I don't even know if they were using computers. We had CNC tape machines, but no CAD. I wonder where they all ended up. I also wonder where my T & D classmates ended up...

I apologize for the digression, but as you can see, it brings back memories.

I installed "Nanocad", it looks like a capable 2D package (I have lots of experience with ACAD 2D), I'm also looking at "FreeCad", that seems a little clumsy. They are all an investment in time, learning new things.

Good luck on your journey, & please let us know what you found to be the best solution for YOU.

Keep on learning.

John

Hi All,
I'm still running Autocad 14 in XP( I have full programme on disc) on a stand alone comp. It's not connected to the net so no nasty updates. I don't use it much any more but is great when needed.
Cheers
Andrew

Back