Cabin Fever 2013

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreeves

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Im getting excited to got to cabin fever again this year. I wanted to know if anyone knew if they were doing a cnc seminar on friday again this year. I plan on being there friday-sunday with my engines.

Dave

I was hoping this would be the year. Now with the date so close to NAMES I can only attend one because I have to miss work. Bummer! Take lots of pictures for those of us who can't be there.

Plan on going . Hope Ron pops in with seminar info I expect he knows something.
There was talk of doing a CamBAM seminar. but do not know what is planned.
Tin

A cambam seminar would be great. I am using that for my stuff.

Dave

There will not be a mini mill build class, or a paid seminar as in past years. I considered several options and talked with some of the previous supporters, and I just couldn't get the right combination together.

There will be a seminar on Friday, and at this point it looks like it will be the introduction to Mach4. Probably an afternoon event, likely 1:00- to 3:00 or so. I know Brian Barker will be there, and will do a major seminar.

We will probably do a 1 hour session on Saturday and/or Sunday as well.

I would love to see a CamBam session, but I am not qualified to lead it, an I don't know anyone that is. Any suggestion? I will be happy to help make the arrangements.

There will be several CNC vendors. Mach, Tormach, PMDX for sure, and we are talking to some others. All are welcome.

Ron, thanks for jumping in. At let there will be something to do after we get set up on Friday. I have no instrest in the auction.

Dave

I have confirmed with Brian, we will have an all afternoon session on Friday that will be the first public Introduction of Mach4 and will be a complete Getting Started session, covering setup, configuration, running, and using the screen designer and scripting with Lua.

I will be doing a session on using the new Mach4 wizards for mill.

I've got Brian looking for someone to do a CamBam session.

Looks like we will have almost a full day on Friday.

Ron, You are the man!! tell Brian thank you as well

Dave

KVOM I do think there is interest. curios what are your qualifications? Inquiring minds want to know.
I was trained by the USAF as instructor so I have teaching training and skills . I can give pointers on format lesson plans etc but I know nothing or virtually nothing about cam bam I have a demo copy and want to learn.
Telling you audience why you are qualified to teach is part of a good introduction.
Thanks In advance.
Tin

I've been using it for 2.5 years and have made more than a hundred parts for my locomotive project. In a short seminar all you can do is an introduction, mainly on the concepts. I'd expect the best format would be demonstrating these concepts with CB operating on a laptop with a screen projection. Powerpoint slides and screen shots would not be very effective in my view.

Since CAM is the intermediate stage between CAD and g-code/operation, there would need to be some assumptions about the audience background. My up-front take would be that the main audience would be manual machinists looking to move to CNC. Therefore there would need to be some descriptions of CAD capabilities and the concept of polylines and points, but very little discussion except in passing of CB's CAD capabilities. The demonstration would take a sample DXF file imported into CB, then edited and otherwise manipulated to get to the stage where machine operations could be added. Then I'd want to demonstrate the basic operations of drill, pocket, profile, and engrave MOPs, CB parts, and use of layers. Finally generation of g-code with a discussion of machine-dependent posts. The degree of detail in any topic would depend on the amount of time allocated. I would not try to get into 3D machining and STL files unless the session were to be a lot longer.

It would useful to show the machined result, either in concert with a Mach demo on a real machine or using Cutviewer. This could be discussed as time goes on. At a minimum, the gcode could be loaded into mach3 to show how the toolpaths match those shown in CB.

Having enough time allocated to Q&A is pretty important in technical presentations.

My work background has included a lot of sales support technical presentations and discussion of software products.

Sounds good in the air force the teaching goal would be familiarization. Each student will be familiar with. ESWBFW . sounds like you are well prepared.
Tin

KVOM, sounds great as I'm still new to cambam. I have hade 20 + parts with it but I'm sure there are easier ways to do it

I look forward to picking your brain even if there is not time for the seminar. I will be there all day on Friday-Sunday

Dave

Latest posts

Back