Cabin Fever 2013

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1MACH

Reaction score
Since I've been reading about the show changing dates it has really bothered me. Was the April date intentional to cut into the N.A.M.E. show? Is it about making so much money that we are going to ruin a great pair of shows?And if this is the case then my thoughts are that the N.A.M.E. show for 2013 should have vendors pay a $10 fee across the board. This will draw all the model people to the model show and keep the auction people at the fair grounds.
The date being changed due to the chance of bad weather could have been a month before or after the N.A.M.E. show period. This is just my opinion, I have enjoyed both shows for years and have been an exhibitor and vendor at both shows in the past 8 years and I'm worried that this is going to ruin a show and I don't want to see that happen.

Well since you are a vendor at both shows you must have an interest in model engineering.
No one here was involved the decision to change the show dates.
could you please introduce yourself.
Tin

Sorry Tin by no means was a blaming anybody, but I was refured to this site from a thread on the smokstak site. My name is Scott LaBombard and I live in Flushing Michigan and have been a model builder for 25 years now and have tried to keep the interest in model building and machining alive with the newbies and young. I have designed simple no casting model plans for beginners and have designed and made patterns for a new hit and miss engine. Like I said in my post it just bothered me about the show being held now in april, I joined this community because there seemed to be a lot of info on this thread.
My question is the future of this hobby and if I over stepped my boundrys then just kick me off.

Haahahaha!!!!

Scott, I doubt you will get kicked off. Folks around here just like to know who they are talking to. Pop over to the welcome section and introduce yourself. Tell a bit about who you are and your interests. You will fit in around here.

I have met you Scott and if you remember, I purchased 3 sets of plans from you for the same engine and sent them to members at this very site. Thought you might remember because you looked a little puzzled when I wanted 3 of the same.

DSCN2076s.jpg

I also share Scott's concern. I think the shows being so close together will hurt them both. I know there are exibitors who don't have the budget or the energy to make two shows in 2 weekends. Vendors might feel the same way when they have to lug the heavy machines in and out. I don't see it being good for either one.

I would like to see the Cabin Fever show move to July. That would make a nice summer with Names in April, Cabin Fever in July and Zanesville in October.

I was going to add my 2 cents but was afraid I'd get booed because of past dealings. If nothing else I share Steve's concerns. Turnpike tolls, gas, food, lodging and miscellaneous within a couple of weeks, certainly not doable as a retiree on a fixed income.
gbritnell

Speaking of Cabin Fever, half my reason for driving to PA was because I'd aquired quite a bit of cabin fever myself. The wife also needed to get out of the house. But two shows in a row, I don't think so.

Interestingly, I'm pleased by reading that many folks are choosing the NAMES show next year. No disrespect to the Cabin Fever guys, its just that for me NAMES is the local show and I want it to continue to be the good show it is.

I live in Denver and have attended both Cabin Fever and NAMES. Both were a wonderful experience. PA is a bit far on motorcycle so am planning on riding to NAMES. However, I understand NAMES is moving their venue to a smaller facility. Is this true? and if so will it be as large as previous showings? Also, what about PRIME on the west coast? I don't find anything with google. Where is it and is it large like NAMES and Cabin Fever? Thanks.
Les

stevehuckss396 said:
It is true they are moving but moving from one hockey rink to another, I doubt the dimensions will change much.

Thanks for the info,

I talked to Gary about the dates for next year,he said that was the only date he could get. There was nothing to do with NAMES. We travel 625 miles to attend Cabin Fever so wanted to know what was going on

Unless you normally plan to hit both shows the same year then the proximity of dates isn't an issue. For vendors, I can see some advantage in that if they have to pack up after one show then they're packed to go to the other.

For hobbyists who would want to visit both in a year, it's definitely an issue. Perhaps for 2014 CF will have more choice as to dates. I went to CF this year, after having to cancel the two prior years because of blizzard conditions on the route.

Personally I will likely attend only one of the two next year, and driving distance to either is about the same for me.

I haven't attended the Cabin Fever show for 3 yrs now due to bad weather and the fact that I normally go by myself. Its a
6 1/2 drive for me and the thought of the long drive doesn't appeal to me. I like the idea of having it during a time of the year when the weather isn't an issue. This will make my decision to go easier. I also attended the Iron Fever shows Gary put on a couple of years and the attendence always seemed to be less than the CF show. Probably due to there being more for people to do in the summer time.
I do miss going to CF though, it is one of my favorite shows. I have always enjoyed meeting people with like interests and the talent in that area of the country is to be admired. Next year, if anyone is traveling I-80 in Ohio to get there and needs a riding companion let me know, I live about 5 miles from a turnpike exit and I would be more than happy to help with the costs of the adventure.
I hope the change doesn't hurt either show, CF or NAMES. They are both premier shows and we need them both to promote our hobby. I will try to attend both shows next year one way or another. I welcome the change of date and hope to see you there next year, Dave

I think most guys know that Cabin fever is totally funded and run by Gary Schoenly and his son Jarred. There is no big corporation behind it, just a guy that likes models and wanted to have a show. I assume he does make enough from it to keep doing it, I certainly hope so.

He spent a lot of time, and talked to a lot of guys before making the decision to change the date. He simply could not stand the risk of a big snow. Remember, in 2010 the week following the show the entire mid-Atlantic area was dumped in a couple feet of show. If that has been the show weekend Gary would have been wiped out, and there would be no more shows.

There are also great possibilities for the new date. It opens up a lot of possible outdoor activities. He is planning to have a foundry demo actually pouring metal. He is going to push for some traction engine guys to bring and run engines. There is room for RVs to camp on site.

I dont get the worries about cost- if you go to both shows it costs the same amount- you just have to do a bit of budgeting to spend both amounts in the same month.

I have talked to Gary about this. He is very clear that he in no way wants to do any harm to NAMES. Why would he? How could it help him? He just wants his show to be the best it can be.

I missed NAMES #1 because I didnt hear about it until it was over. Ive been to every one since then, and I have been to every Cabin Fever. I hope I never have to miss either one.

RonGinger said:
He is very clear that he in no way wants to do any harm to NAMES. Why would he? How could it help him? He just wants his show to be the best it can be.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that he is being malicious, I certainly am not. I also understand why he would want to get out of January into a better month. I don't blame him there. I just cant help but think that it's going to lower the door at both shows because people are going to choose one or the other. Being the strong, viral, and hansom specimen that I am I will be able to do both. if you look around the room it is an older crowd and I don't think there will be too many willing to make a 7-10 hour drive two weekends in a row. That can be a bit hard on ya.

I hope I'm wrong. I have been wanting to go to Cabin Fever for many years.

someone mentioned July. Gary did try a summer show for several years it was called iron fever. I attended every one from the beginning 2003 to the end Gary lost money on it he could not afford to continue it. I am sure Gary thought long and hard changing the dates,.
Scott all are welcome here who are interested in model engine building.And willing to show respect to others. We just feel that it is in every ones best interest to make a good first impression on there first post. and posting an introduction is part of making a good impression it helps us understand you. reading posts and lurking helps you understand us.
Tin

Latest posts

Back