Cabin Fever 2011

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to Gary at the end of the day. This year broke the previous records in every catagory, attendance, vendors, exhibitors and auction sales.

At the exhibitors reception at the end of the day they announced some vendors would be offering discounts tomorrow to exhibitors. I heard one major vendor tell Gary they had almost nothing left to sell tomorrow. It was also reported the Novakon sold 'several' of their $7k milling machines.

The exhibitors reception again had free beer, great BBQ sandwiches and other good food. Anyone with an exhibit on the tables when Gary went around about 3:00 got a ticket to the reception. A very nice touch to thank all the exhibitors.

One new feature this year was a huge sandpile and a big model drag line moving the sand around. Biggest sandbox Ive ever seen.

I sold some stuff in the consignment area and bought a cutter grinder. Ill go home neutral on cash and slightly lighter on weight, a good deal in my view.

MB, I can send you some pictures of My Upshur Farm Engine if you like

Dave

I had to miss it again this year. Something came up. Sorry I missed you guys again...

Eric

Here's a link to my pics from today.
Apologies.
I should have taken a few pics of the event itself.
Many of the pics are a bit blurry.
And I'm sure there's a bunch of good projects that you would have liked to have seen that I don't have pics for.

http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/zeeprogrammer/?action=view&current=a308291e.jpg

If you didn't get a chance to go this year...try and make it next year.
It's certainly worth it.
And if Ron gives another seminar...check it out. This year's was certainly enjoyable for me.

Thanks for the kind words. I wish you had come up and said hello so I could put a current face on your great avatar.

Im sitting in my hotel now, thinking about the day, and resting my tired feet. I am working on an idea for a seminar that would be making a model by CNC. I would start with some drawings, run through some CAM processes, then actually cut some parts. Id have to do a lot of prep up front, like rough cutting stock, and collecting tools and fastenings, but I think I could make a simple model in a 4 hr seminar.

What would be a good model to do? Clearly lots of mill work, but something with lots of cut-outs and tricky profiles would show the benefits of CNC.

This is just my wild idea now, but Im going to flesh it out. Any suggestions for something neat to make?

Ron, So you can put a face to me. Im the one that kept asking you to make chips with the mill. I was there when you were puting on the vice and cut the first plate. thanks for setting it up.

Dave Reeves

I couldn't make it there today. Will there be very many exhibitors tomorrow/Sunday? I am planning to drive the 2-3 hours and don't want to get there a 9am to a empty building. Last year I made it there on Saturday and enjoyed myself but this year I have a Saturday class at school and couldn't miss it. If anyone has some experience with Sundays at the show I would appreciate your view. Thanks, Chris.

I was the guy sitting to the left of Tin (your right) during the seminar.
But I don't expect you to remember me.

I was the one who was trying to influence the outcome of the raffle with sheer mind-over-matter. As usual, matter won.

I'll look you up next time.

There's a thread around here with pics of several members (me included) but I can't find it. Maybe some one else knows where it is.

Here are some Cabin Fever 2011 pics and vids. I exhibited at this show and thoroughly enjoyed it. So many conversations with like minded gear heads I lost count. What’s not to like?

A steam car called the LIKAMOBILE
Likamobilesteamcar.jpg

Its history
likamobiledescr.jpg

And powerplant
steamcarpowerplant.jpg

Our Geo Britnell’s 4 cyl inline
gb4cylinline.jpg

Its description
4cyldescr.jpg

Geo Britnell’s Vee Twin
gbVeetwin.jpg

Its description
gbveetwindesc.jpg

A nicely finished mill steam engine
P1140025.jpg

Frank Krushinski’s Marine engines at 2 scales
P1140023.jpg

Frank Krushinski’s Vertical steam engine
P1140024.jpg

As always, good friends, model engines, neat tools, great vendors. And a chance to run in my latest build to be sure it’s ready for the season.
factory2finib.jpg

Here’s a neat Bremen Hot Air Engine
Bremenhotairengine.jpg

The holy grail of steam engines – a beautiful Corliss
Corlisssteameng.jpg

My friend Don’s work-in-progress. Don has called this a WIP for years. It always looks finished to me…a nice bottle engine running a generator.
DonsWIP.jpg

A nicely finished mill engine
NiceMilleng.jpg

A model of a Sipp (New Jersey) steam engine running a butter churn built and shown by Barry Navarre
Sippbutterchurn.jpg

A Frick traction engine shown by Rich McKee a tech school instructor
Fricktraction.jpg

Now for a look at the future:
PlasticFRICK.jpg

See the white stuff? Those are plastic engine parts. They are made by making a model on a computer, then “printing” layers of the model on plastic sheets to make a “real” model from the “virtual” one. I think I got that right – amazing. Wait, plastic engines don’t run, do they?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1U_whtuGBA[/ame]
Very cool. Rich’s students are also making their own simple engines with this technology.
My friend Al’s models of 2 Ray HasBrouck designs. That’s a 5 cent piece in the foreground.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omjb-jZWF1o[/ame]
Here’s a hit-n-miss engine running a model of a Kurtz Wanner pump jack built and shown by my friend David of Meadow Valley Machine Shop. These folks introduced me to the highly machineable steel 1144 which forever conquered my fear of machining steel.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg8ka8ka8eQ[/ame]
No you’re not losing your marbles – it IS pumping them out!
Beam engines come in many favors – this one caught my eye:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0s5_hzLS9s[/ame]
Hope you enjoyed these. Apologies to the IC crowd for all the steam engine stuff but it's my main interest and this show is huge to cover. Hopefully someone captured some of the truly great IC's, Stirlings and other models.

Cheers,
Phil

O.K.

6-hours to get there and 6-hours back by myself. Was it worth it...YES. It was great to see so many people interested in stationary engines. I took so many pictures and videos that I went through one pair of batteries and a memory card.

At some point tomorrow I will post some of my favorite pics and vids.

I signed the HMEM notebook as soon as I arrived...also met Tin Falcon! I will be visiting the show again next year.

Now I want to go build an engine.

Chris

I haven't been to Cabin Fever in about 6 years. I made my reservations early with the hotel allowing a late cancellation in case of bad weather. My trip is about 6 hours not counting rest stops. The weather from Cleveland, Ohio to York, Pennsylvania was very decent this year so with everything ready I loaded up and left the house at 5:00 am Friday morning.
Upon arrival there were a (million) cars. Knowing that Friday was setup day I couldn't understand that many vehicles. I parked and went in to register. The girl took my money and gave me all the papers, buttons and tags and said "have a nice day". I said "I need a little more information, where do I go to unload, where do I set up, etc."
Her response was, "oh just go to the back door and someone will help you."
Ok, I know I'm getting older but now my frustration level is on the rise.
I made it to the 'back door' and went inside. A young fellow asked me for my passes and such and I told him I was there to exhibit and could he give me some help. He said there's plenty of tables just find an open spot. Now I asked for a cart or something to transport my models and boxes, they have them at every other show. He said he wasn't sure if there were any but he would go and ask the organizer of the show who happened to be standing 20-30 feet away. He came back and said that they were all over the show and that people use them but don't bring them back.
Fair enough, I started looking.
Now having not been to this show in a number of years I didn't realize the enormity of the 'AUCTION'. Two separate auctions were taking place at the same time. There were people and machinery and models and full sized hit and miss engines. You name it and it was probably there.
I walked the whole complex and couldn't find anything to move my gear from the back door to the display area, quite a walk to carry everything. I told the young fellow that I couldn't find anything and he said he had found a lightweight cart with small caster wheels on it if I could use it. Now my frustration level has risen a few more notches. I thanked him for his efforts and starting making the first of 4 trips in and out of the building all the while working around the huge crowd that was there for the auction.
I finally got everything put in place and set up. Now it was time to walk around and see some old friends and modelers.
We covered everything up about 5:00 pm on Friday and headed for the motel.
Saturday morning we were up at 5:30 am., got ready and headed down to a great breakfast provided by the hotel. We stayed at the Hampton Inn on the opposite side of town from the show but it was well worth it. They had a show rate, late cancellation policy, the rooms were clean and the amenities, and food were great.
We got the the show hall around 8:00 am and uncovered everything. I started oiling and fueling all the engines in preparation for the 9:00 am opening. Once finished I had a chance to walk around and see some of the large assortment of model engineering work on display.
In addition to the table displays there were a great many RC boats being prepared for the 'pond'. There was also a large dirt mound to be used by a huge drag line type model. Around the perimeter of the show area were a great many vendors selling every conceivable tool and kit for this hobby.
The clock struck 9:00 and the spectators started to file in, slowly at first but by 10:30 the place was filling up.
I have to add that on Saturday there was still auctions taking place so some of the crowd was there to bid or buy.
The day went well. I met and talked with hundreds of people, explaining how I made this or that and what to do and what they shouldn't do. My engines got a real workout and all performed flawlessly until the points came loose in the V-twin. Once the crowds arrived it was virtually impossible to walk around and see what was taking place all over the show floor. I had may wife babysit my engines for 2 short periods so I could get away and have a look-see. As some of the posted pictures show there was everything you could imagine.
Late in the day some of the exhibitors packed up and headed out. This is common with the other shows I attend. Some people have other obligations and can only be there one day.
Sunday the show opened up at 9:00 but there was a marked difference in the amount of spectators. It made it easier to talk with people but seemed to dampen the tone for that day.
Don't get me wrong I enjoy running my engines and seeing the looks on peoples faces who have never been around this type of hobby. There were comments like, "that's just like the one I have in my car," "I can't believe that you built something like this," and on and on.
In closing I would like to say that I had a great time but will not return. The reason being is that the show has become an all out auction. I understand that the promoters have found a way to make money and that's fine but the name tags should be changed from Model Engineering Shows and Auctions to AUCTIONS and model engineering shows. The basis for this attitude is because of the lack of assistance to help exhibitors to set up. A lot of the fellows who exhibit are getting older like myself and can't lug 40-60 pound boxes hundreds of feet in and out of the hall.
Turnpike tolls: Ohio-$10.00, Pennsylvania: $36.00, Meals and tips: $80.00, Hotel: $205.00, Fuel: $100.00, admission: $20.00, Total: $451.00.
It's my feeling that the exhibitors put on the show. Yes, feeding your ego is worth something but to spend that much money, time and preparation and not be assisted in getting your models in and out of the show is very frustrating.
George D. Britnell

George, Im surprised to hear your problem. There are many 4 wheel carts, a few pallet jacks and a couple other wagons around for anyone to use. You do have to look around, because some guys dont bring them back to the door. It has never taken me more than a couple minutes to find a cart.

There are no bellboys to carry stuff for you, and Ive never seen them at any other show either. But Ive seen dozens of guys lend a hand when anyone asks, or even looks like they might use help.

I dont buy anything in the auctions, but I sure like looking around to see all the models and see the kind of prices they are getting. If you dont like the auction, just dont go over to that section.

Not much I can say for the tolls, I drive 10 hours and 500 miles, lots of tolls across New England. For NAMES I drive 950 miles and lots of tolls. Just a cost of going to events that I like.

George
I'm sorry for the frustrations you had to endure at the Cabin Fever show. I agree with you that it is the exhibitors that make the show and that is what the majority of folks that attend (especially Saturday and Sunday) want to see. I have attended the NAMES show in Toledo and those folks had all kinds of staff at the loading dock to assist with bringing our stuff into the exhibition hall.

That being said, I'll be disappointed if you write off Cabin Fever shows in the future. Since I'm local I am always early to set up on Friday and here's the deal.... next year if you decide to give it another try I'll have my cart at the unloading area waiting for you. Give it a little time before you decide - us newbies need experienced guys like you at these shows.

Like someone somewhere said, though I can't remember who ;) "talent unshared is talent wasted"

Phil

One thing George didn't mention is the exhibitors reception on Saturday evening. Gary goes around Saturday afternoon and hands out invitations to every exhibitor on the floor. He serves Free food and drink- beer, wine, some great BBQ sandwiches and lots of veggies and cheese. He spends a good deal of money just to show his appreciation for the exhibitors. He has been doing this for the last 3-4 years, a couple times at the York Museum of Industry and the last 2 right in the hall.

This year several of the vendors gave out 15% discount coupons for Sunday.

I can assure you Gary is well aware of the exhibitors importance and goes out of his way to thank them. Ive never seen anything like that at any other show.

I don't consider myself a whiner by any stretch so I'll stick with what I wrote. I heard the same comments from quite a few others so there must be some validity to my thoughts.
I personally don't know the organizers, only by name and looks. I left my display twice on Saturday for a very short time so it's possible that they came when I was gone. As far as the reception, I wasn't aware of it nor did I get an invitation.
My inclusion of the costs was only to represent what I as an exhibitor put out to entertain the spectators. I know that there are folks like Ron Ginger and his group from the New England area also travel a great distance to do the same.
George

I went to the show this year for the first time. There is nothing like it in the southeast so I had to travel over 1000 miles each way. When you add in the cost of fuel and the extra motel bills and meals for the trip it is easier fly so I did. That limited the equipment that I could bring but I wanted to participate instead of just spectate so I brought just one small engine. Thanks to the help of Tin Falcon and other HMEM members my one small display was not entirely overwhelmed and I enjoyed meeting other hobbyist and potential hobbyist. I found the atmosphere and the reception to be friendly and enjoyable.

In my past professional life, I was often required to attend and exhibit at trade shows and at those shows there was always plenty of help moving equipment and setting up displays. In fact most times, I was not allowed to move a display case or plug in a light or hang a banner without the assistance of a member of the appropriate trade at union rates. I realize that this show is not quite the same but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope to be back.

Jerry

I have attended the Cabin Fever shows for several years, and have enjoyed every one. Yes the auction portion seems to be taking over a greater percentage of both the floor space, and the organizers attention every year, but that is economics. This event certainly wasn't cheep. I got there Friday around noon, parked in the west lot, got my tickets at the front door, and began to haul several boxes and displays into the room near Tin and the "sandbox". There were several spaces available on the tables with the air lines, and I began to set up. Even doing this for several years, and at different shows I always haul my stuff in several trips. Maybe that forces me to keep things LIGHT. Had the opportunity to renew friendships, and meet several members of this forum.on Friday. Saturday I stayed behind my exhibit and talked with many visitors. Some I recognised, many I didn't. I was glad to see many families with children looking and asking questions. I tried to encourage everybody who expressed an interest in one of the aspects of our hobby to give it a try, and hopefully they will bring their creations to exhibit at a future Cabin Fever. I didn't see anyone behind the tables getting younger. Like I said I had a very enjoyable time, and hope everyone had a safe return home.
ART

Zee, Phil & Chris,
Thank you for the pictures. Much appreciated.
Dennis

Latest posts

Back