C4 Milling Head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmshep

Reaction score
For what its worth, I had one of the lathe/mill combination machines. Although it seemed like a good idea with my limited space, it never really worked. The one I had was a compromise to both the lathe and the mill. To convert to milling there was the hassle of removing the tool post and cross slide and setting up a vice or work holding arrangement each time and then converting back. (The lathe I had did have a combination vice built into the crosslide but this was almost useless.)

I now have a C4 lathe and did contemplate the mill attachment but went for the stand alone X2 instead and for me it was the right choice. It is so much more convenient.

That said, if space and and SWMBO are a problem then at least the C4 mill attachment is just that and can be removed. I believe the XY table is available as a separate item so it should not be too much trouble to convert it to a stand alone machine at a later date.

BTW I am very pleased with my C4 and after the usual adjustments this type of machine needs out of the box, I can produce accurate work with a good finish.

The C4 suits the work I do but if you consider that I find the X2 just about big enough, then the X1 as an attachment or stand alone might not be a good choice.

John

THanks for the reply, I think there is no perfect solution, will see what the budget allows

Just seen this thread - I too have a C4.
Very pleased with it generally, apart from non-hardened bed which does show the odd ding very easily.
Like John, I have a separate X2 mill which allows a much greater degree of flexibility in working (assuming you have the space for it!).
The X1 milling head is small and somewhat lightly powered. Think about "headroom" under it and maybe use of a rotary table at some later stage? The X2 (like the C4) has an MT3 taper - tooling up may be easier. I think the X1 is an MT2 taper?
If funds and swmbo permit - go for a separate mill.
The X2 is gradually being phased out locally - and newer (more expensive) models replacing it. You could pick up a bargain.
It is very easy to motorise the x axis feed on the X2 with a windscreen wiper motor and simple electronic controller - I can let you have details of a quick-n-dirty way of doing it if it would help later.
Lots and lots of mods available for the X2 as well.
As John says, the X2 is only "just" big enough.

Best wishes

Peter

Back