Burnishing Tools?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Looking through a recently posted link I noticed a paragraph about
burnishing bearing bores. I'm wondering if it could be used in a cylinder bore.
Burnish Bearing for Longer Life
At work we often use burnishing tools for critical finishes but I have never
tried it at home. Has anyone else?
Time for me to try making another type of tool.

Rick

I haven't done this in my home shop, but one place I worked I regularly burnished a bore by running a ball bearing down it with an arbor press and drift punch.

Kevin

Shaft burnishing is the norm in clockmaking when making pivots ( the journals that the gears spin on) as well as the bearing it sits in and their done with a finishing broach which is a smooth tapered round tool put into the hole.....too much jargon! ;D

Sounds like it would work to me Rick......

Dave

Now I'm just thinking out loud...
The burnishing tools we use at work are diamond tipped very much
like this offering from Bright Signet.
Industrial diamonds, boring bars and epoxy are cheap. :noidea:

I'll work on it... LOL

Rick

If you need to burnish a cylinder bore then use a roller burnisher.They look like a needle roller bearing without the outside cage and quite often a morse taper shank.They are adjustable for diameter like an ajustable reamer and can be set to within a few tenths of a thou.Have not used one since the early 1980's but i'm sure they are still available.

best regards Steve C.

scoop said:

All I get is this

untitled-2.gif

DO I have to register before I can read about burnishing? That just sucks! I was expecting to "read" something?

Hope it's just me,
Kermit

If you cant read that lot, try this lot then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnishing_(metalworking)

I saw that, neat. I also like the deburing tool for the back side of the hole.
Tin

I've been through a lot of those old Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines, and one of them (can't remember which) had an article on burnishing. On holes they used a boring bar with a bit of HSS silver soldered to the tip and then rounded and polished, "rubbing" it at slow speed after the final cut. Just wish I could remember the magazine, but being a little ill in the past few days, the time has been spent going through a lot of nostalgic reading. ::)

Latest posts

Back