Building Elmer's #11 radial 3 cyl

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a new member and this is my first post.
Has anyone built this model? I would like to start on this model with a few changes.With limited capabilities I'm thinking round cylinders would be easier and nicer looking. I saw a generated picture in the gallery section that is almost exactly what I had in mind and I like the idea of exposed piping and cylinder studs. Would these changes necessitate a change in the bolt pattern or dimensions? How would the steam/air be routed through the cylinder heads? Would reducing the pistons down to .500 cause a clearance problem for the connecting rods? I'm relativity new to machining and building these small engines. Any info or first hand experience dealing with these dimensional problems would help.
Anything at all would be appreciated. Thanks. Rick M

UPDATE: I now go by the name of Metal Butcher or simply MB. I don't mean to causing confusion. I made this change to simplify, and eliminate it's possibility. ???

Thanks. MB

welcome rick

i cannot answer your questions about the radial engine but one idea might be to build one according to the plans and then build a second one with all the modifications that you want.
by building the first one you will gain more machining experience and as you build it you will be able to see what can and cannot be changed.

hope this helps a little

chuck

chuck foster said:
welcome rick

i cannot answer your questions about the radial engine but one idea might be to build one according to the plans and then build a second one with all the modifications that you want.
by building the first one you will gain more machining experience and as you build it you will be able to see what can and cannot be changed.

hope this helps a little

chuck
That's an excellent ideal. I have been thinking about building two at the same time up to where one stops and other build continues to follow Elmers exact plans.
But building just one that runs would be nice!

Rick,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

I found a (707) formula on the web to calculate bolt circles and that led my approach to doing the necessary calculations need for my proposed changes. I came up with dimensions that should work. With that in hand I started doing the "Swiss Cheesing" operations on the crankcase.
As a precaution I took all my hammers up to the garage, locked them in my tool box, and handed the key to "honey" for safe keeping. ;D

RickM..

Here's my version of the engine

rotary.jpg

It runs very smoothly and is a fun build. I made the valve cover plate from transparent plastic so the valve motion would be visible. Adjusting everything so the valve seats well is tricky but not unduly difficult.

It will be very difficult to use Elmer's (very ingenious) valve arrangement if you want to forego the air channels drilled through the cylinder and use external piping.

I don't know what your experience level is but, if you're just starting out, I would suggest that you build the model to Elmer's plans first. That will make you intimately familiar with the details and in a much better position to assess the feasibility of changes.

Wow! That's super! The clear cover is a neat idea!

Is your base parkerized steel?, it's what I have in mind to add weight for stability.

Did you machine the 1/16 valve pin? I'm considering using a separate pin pressed in and loctited.

I consider my level to be just past a beginner. With this radial the most difficult, and my twenty eighth build since Nov first of 2008.

RickM..

The base is indeed steel, though not Parkerized, to counteract vibration. As it turned out, the engine runs very smoothly and I'm not sure the extra weight was really needed.

I machined the valve crank pin because there's not enough meat there to drill a hole for a separate pin IMO.

28 builds since 11/1/08 ?! Quelle rapide! That's an engine every 4+ days!

I expect to see a picture of your finished radial when I return from lunch. :)

mklotz said:
The base is indeed steel, though not Parkerized, to counteract vibration. As it turned out, the engine runs very smoothly and I'm not sure the extra weight was really needed.

I machined the valve crank pin because there's not enough meat there to drill a hole for a separate pin IMO.

28 builds since 11/1/08 ?! Quelle rapide! That's an engine every 4+ days!

I expect to see a picture of your finished radial when I return from lunch. :)
I know what you mean about not much meat for that 1/16 hole, but crazy is as crazy does, so I'll try anyway!

No on the "rapide". 18 of those are identical copies of 2 models that were completed in 4 weeks. Also, I forgot to mention I'm Retired and spend most of my time in the shop. I only come up for air (smoke), sleep, food, and a related issue. Any other distraction makes me @&%$#&@ mad!

RickM..

Back from lunch (beer and sushi - the monk fish liver was especially tasty) and no pictures! I'm devastated.

If you insist on fabricating and not turning that pin my suggestion would be to drill the 1/16" hole before turning down the spigot, secure the pin with Loctite 609, and then turn the spigot. That way the thin wall of that 1/16" hole will be well supported when the turning is done.

Rick, where are you located? I'll give you a karma point if you go back and put your location in your profile and under your yet-to-be avatar (see under old Albert to the left).

mklotz said:
Back from lunch (beer and sushi - the monk fish liver was especially tasty) and no pictures! I'm devastated.

If you insist on fabricating and not turning that pin my suggestion would be to drill the 1/16" hole before turning down the spigot, secure the pin with Loctite 609, and then turn the spigot. That way the thin wall of that 1/16" hole will be well supported when the turning is done.

Rick, where are you located? I'll give you a karma point if you go back and put your location in your profile and under your yet-to-be avatar (see under old Albert to the left).

The way I see it is this site is the problem! Instead of machining I'm spending too much time reading all the great posts!

Wow. Turning the spigot was exactly the way I was planning on doing it! I must be catching on naturally. I figure the drill will take the path of least resistance, right out the side.

I'll get help to do that avatar thingy since I'm clueless on these computter skills.

Location: Why, the greatest location in the nation, Cleveland, Ohio!

RickM..

I took the liberty of putting your location in your profile. Now all you need to do is find a suitable avatar.

It will be very difficult to use Elmer's (very ingenious) valve arrangement if you want to forego the air channels drilled through the cylinder and use external piping.

Not impossible tho' - I managed to incorporate 'em in my fabricated Cygnet Royale, which looks to have a very similar valve arrangement.

valve end.jpg

Cissy.jpg

That,s a very interesting motor. It looks very similar to Elmers radial, but with a separate intake and exhaust porting?

How would one get to see a copy of these plans?

Thanks. RickM..

Hi richardmarszalek - If you go to the MODEL ENGINE NEWS (MEN) website in Australia you can order the DVD with that engine (and many more) engines on it for 15 or 20 bucks and that also makes you a member of the club. - BillMc

I have the original Model Engineer magazines covering construction of the Cygnet Royale and I think I also have a construction guide for it. If you want I will have a look and see if I can find them. I was working on a twice size Cygnet Royale when the workshop got robbed and I lost most of the parts but I am sure I still have the drawings. I'll be away from home for the next few days but will check then. - Richard.

Bill Mc said:
Hi richardmarszalek - If you go to the MODEL ENGINE NEWS (MEN) website in Australia you can order the DVD with that engine (and many more) engines on it for 15 or 20 bucks and that also makes you a member of the club. - BillMc
Great! Thanks for the info. :big: That motor looks a lot more complex, plus all that soldering. Defiantly for a builder more advanced than me. However, I hope to improve my basic skills and be able to complete more complex models such as that one.

Thanks. RickM..

Richard1- Thank you too with your offer to help. :bow:

Edit:Here's a picture of my modified version of Elmer's radial, work in progress.
radial01.jpg

These are 10 parts I completed as of today,day 6. I'm usually finished, or very close to finishing an engine at this point in time. Since I'm posting on this forum a decision was made to slow down a bit. After all, this is #28 engine since November 1st. This slowdown is working well for me. So far no broken taps or drill bits just to mention a few of the things that normally happen during my builds. Today I'm making the valve, and if that's all I get done then that's just fine by me!

EDIT: This is the 29th engine.

Will it run With all the changes I'm making? Soon we will all know!
If not, then I might be changing my screen name again! :big: MB

nice work .................... now let's see some pictures of all the other engines you have built :)

chuck

aermotor8 said:
nice work .................... now let's see some pictures of all the other engines you have built :)

chuck

Hi Chuck. Thanks for your interest. I will be posting pictures in the near future (I get help with the picture posting).
Below is a quick link to a few recent ones I built in memory of Elmer Verburg. There is also a separate album titled Richards shop showing my modest (but messy) shop and tools.
MB
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmers_Engines_1/photos/album/1103774351/pic/list

Very nice start. I was the one who did the 3D generated model... was running through some modifications to see how they would look. Have you thought about some 'cooling fins' on the cylinders?

Eric

Back