Building Elmer's #11 radial 3 cyl

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brass_Machine said:
Very nice start. I was the one who did the 3D generated model... was running through some modifications to see how they would look. Have you thought about some 'cooling fins' on the cylinders?

Eric

Thanks. That,s a really nice 3D, and exactly what I had in mind after looking at Elmers drawings. I don't have a 4 jaw chuck or know how to use one, so round cllinders were the way to go. Fins? That's a good idea that didn't cross my mind, although I did that operation when I built a sterling fan designed by Dr. Senfit named "Moriya". Sorry if I misspelled. MB

Update: a few more parts I made for the radial.
radial02.jpg

The critical dimensions of the steel PISTON RODS are unchanged, only the profile was altered along with a Tool Black treatment to ward off rust.

The altered aluminum PISTONS are .500 x .500 with the wrist pins central at .250

The brass VALVE is as per Elmer's plans (5 holes w/oil grooves).

VALVE CRANK, as per plans. I did follow through with making it with a separate 1/16 valve pin and it worked like a charm. I can just see a ghost image of it on the brass!

The brass Connecting hub (4 holes) is per plans.

The 3 wrist pins are made of steel.

This is day #8 and all is going well. I need to order all the 2-56 screws since I only have 5 screws , 2 are too long, 2 are too short, and my personal one is loose! :big:

Thanks. MB

Metal Butcher said:

The critical dimensions of the PISTON RODS are unchanged, only the profile was altered along with a Tool Black treatment to ward off rust.

What exactly is the Tool Black treatment? Looks good so far! 8 days...

Eric

Brass_Machine said:
What exactly is the Tool Black treatment? Looks good so far! 8 days...

Eric

I don't know exactly what it is.

I bought it from Enco. It comes as a blue liquid in a plastic 32 oz. bottle.

I like it, and I also like to parkerize (gray color) raw steel parts and tools.

It seems the bottle of either is lasting long and might not ever need replacing. All you really need is the 32 oz tool black since most of us already have degrease r, spray oil, ect. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=847&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=825-8158

WOW! It was like $29 when I got it..guess its been a while!

MB

Back