Building a tool and cutter grinding center

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have built Harold Hall’s Deluxe Grinding Table, http://www.homews.co.uk/page145.html, and am slowly setting up my grinding station. I am also working on the accessories for the table. I have built the lathe tool jig, and the round tool jig, and am working on the drill bit jig.
I purchased a dedicated bench grinder for this setup. On it, I have mounted a diamond taper cup wheel (for carbide), and a aluminum oxide straight cup wheel (for HHS).
One thing Mr. Hall did not include in his books (at least in those I have) is a jig to hold a single point diamond dressing tool, for Aluminum Oxide wheels, that will work with his Deluxe Grinding table.
Has anyone here built this table? What custom jigs did you come up with? Do you have a jig for a single point diamond dresser?
I’ve seen dresser jigs advertised and written about on woodworking sites and some of them set the single point diamond pointing directly toward the center of the wheel, some point the diamond downward at 10 degrees to the center of the wheel. Which is best?
I want to build a diamond dressing tool jig from CRS to work with Mr. Hall’s table. Any advice or pictures of your setups would be appreciated.
Chuck

It's always best to have the diamond presented to the wheel at a downward angle, that way it can be rotated as is wears and still keep a reasonable point on the end. Presented square to the wheel will only make a larger work area on the diamond in time.

Paul.

Chuck, that's about what we used at work, can't recall exactly what angle we used on the surface grinder diamonds, but would have been 10-15 degrees.

Paul.

Chuck, that's about what we used at work, can't recall exactly what angle we used on the surface grinder diamonds, but would have been 10-15 degrees.

Paul.

Good advice. Seems Gus been taught the wrong way. I have seen my master
losing diamonds and just blame on cheap stuff from Japan in the 60s.
The UK made diamond dressers some how has longer life.

Just remembered I need to dress the Bench Grinder. Having to compromise when grinding drill bits today.

Latest posts

Back