bright mild steel supplies au

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayville

Reaction score
hello fellow Aussies..does anyone no of any suppliers in Melbourne ,that supply bright mild steel bar ,leaded preferred that sell at minimum lengths . clem

I see that your location is Tasmania, but you want a Melbourne supplier, are you over here at the moment or do you plan to have it sent to you. There are a few suppliers that I use use in the Moorabbin area, if that's a handy location I will look up the addresses when I get home.

Paul.

Paul...thanks for your reply..I'm in Melbourne quite regular and stay in Berwick..I will be over on Wednesday for a week..I am originally from Dandenong...it is virtually impossible to buy any material such as brass,bright steel and aluminium here..to give an example,I needed 200 mm of 50x50 aluminium square solid bar and had to buy 2 mts ...I have a couple of engines that I want to have a go at and prefer bright bar to aluminium. clem

Some to try are;
Handyman Steel Supplies, 29 Nellbern Rd, Moorabbin.
Lockbar Steel & Aluminium Supplies, 2 Barlow Ave, Cheltenham.

As far as aluminium requirements go, most dedicated aluminium suppliers should have shorts or offcuts available. I often use Capral Aluminium, they appear to be in a new location now, 41 Greens Rd, Dandenong. I mainly buy flat plate offcuts, can't recall the exact grade, but it's very tough, excellent to use, available from about 4 to 150+ mm thick.

I just reread your previous post, you may find the grade of aluminium in the plate form ideal for engines, rather than mild steel.

Paul.

thanks mate ..hope to return a favour sometime ...cheers clem

A mate of mine gets a lot of stuff from Airport Metals in Melbourne, but they have a $100 minimum order.

Over here in Perth Capral is a no-go. I needed a 150x150x15mm piece, hoping for an offcut, got quoted $1600.00 for a full sheet and told they don't cut anything.

thanks hopper.. looks ok...Cogsy you are right about capral...anything that you buy there has to either a half length or a full one ...it's ok when it's something small like 12dia rod etc it doesn't cost that much ,but try and get 50 dia or bigger and it cost an arm and a leg ...here in tassie forget about getting any brass ,cast iron or even machine able bright steel ..it doesn't exist..I have tried every where to no avail......clem

Hello Clem,
I use ebay for odd stuff, but find Model Engineering Supplies P/L in Tullamarine good at supplying most metals including brass and cast, which is good to machine. Norm

thanks all...you have been a great help...it's a great forum to be a part of....cheers clem

done a lot of fishing in west gippy..and played footy...does Ian Stansfield smith allow you to purchase short lengths...clem

done a lot of fishing in west gippy..and played footy...does Ian Stansfield smith allow you to purchase short lengths...clem

hi Clem

Yes no problem, they sell short lengths. They sell 12L14 leaded machining steel and many other types too .

I am near Warragul . I lived in Tassie near Deloraine and I know how difficult it is to find stuff . Ah the footy ! I used to fish a lot in Tassie fly fishing . Mike

mike thanks very much for that info...I,m in that area on a regular basis...just the spot that I was seeking....clem

fello Aussie modellers..I just looked at the site that west gippy gave me..if you are in need of any bright steel it is worth having a look at.....clem

Latest posts

Back