Bridgeport is on the way

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshire

Reaction score
Well, I finally found one (the one in the front.)

1967 2J head, 36" table, chrome ways, one-shot oiler. The frosting is amazing. Best I've seen.

Should clean up nicely. Very little backlash on X and Y.

Delivery is Tuesday so I have a bunch of stuff to do. Almost finished with the new 240V line.
The VFD is on the way as is the DRO. Since all of my tooling, etc. is R8 from the BF20, I'm good to go. I traded the BF20 for the rigging all the way to the basement shop.

Watch for pix and videos on Tuesday nite.

Nice score!

What VFD are you using?

Hi Sshire
That is a lovely Machine
With a good DRO set up It will be a thing of Joy.
Pete

Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited!
The VFD is a GS2-22PO from Automation Direct. 2hp. 240v 3 phase out.
I was going to use the DRO that is on the BF20 mill and get new scales. Not enough of a price difference to not get a brand new Easson from DRO Pros.

Sweet, that shop looks familiar... it wouldn't be in Ohio would it?

Nice one Stan! I can feel the anticipation mate!

cheers, Ian

That would be Cook Machine and Tool in Sickklerville, NJ

So now your problem is whether to control the speed with the vari-speed head or the VFD. :-0

The big handwheel on the front will be the first thing to go. Totally useless except to bang your head.

I thought that was the function of that handwheel. A place to bang your head when you screw up a part.:wall:

So now your problem is whether to control the speed with the vari-speed head or the VFD.
The speed should be controlled with the vari-speed head only, not the VFD. In fact, a rotary phase converter should really be be used for this machine instead of a VFD.

I intend to control the speed with the vari speed head.
Reasons please for rotary phase converter other than
1. Noise is good for you
2. Haven't spent enough money

Seriously, why would you want a rotary phase converter over a VFD?
Inquiring minds want to know.

There is no reason to not use the VFD for most speed changes. I leave the 2J at 1200 rpm 90% of the time. Move it up to 4K for some milling and drilling, use backgear for the big bits, and 3-6" insert heads, and large tapping. Machine is a bit quieter at 1200, regardless of the vfd setting, plenty of torque for 1/2 drills running at one third motor speed. Then crank the VFD up to do 2K rpm for a carbide 3/8em.

My speed control knob is a hex, 12:00 is 60Hz, one flat of the hex adds/subtracts 15Hz, 2 flats 30, 3 flat 45. Chips tell me if the speed is right. I have a hand tach but rarely use it.

Tom
That's a great idea for the speed control knob. I'll certainly "borrow" it.
The VFD's ability to soft start a motor certainly extends the motor's life. Dynamic braking is another plus.

Stan, great to see your moving up in machines. Now you can make bigger engines.

Dave

Kvom

I'll probably leave the BP switch but render it INOP. I ordered the control panel remote cable so the VFD can be out of the way with the control Panel in a convenient place. Have to look at the machine once it's in place and figure that out.

Dave

I can make smaller, but more precise, engines. Seems like its getting time for breakfast at the diner.

I made a holder for the control panel that's clamped to the same arm that holds the DRO. Small block of Al with a pocket to hold the panel and holes in the back for the cable and a mounting screw.

medium.jpg

Kvom
That will be the first project for the BP. Nicely done.

Seriously, why would you want a rotary phase converter over a VFD?
Inquiring minds want to know.

The vari speed heads have a rather complex transmission inside of them to provide speed control. This transmission is engineered to expect input from a motor running at a constant speed and torque. The transmission provides a full range of speeds with infinite control between them. The machine is not engineered to run slower or faster then this.

The output of VFD's is not 100% sinusoidal. To maintain full specifications, this motor wants a clean 60 hz 3ph signal.

The VFD's are fantastic for belt driven equipment like my South Bend lathe. It allows a full range of speeds, and there is no transmission to suffer from incorrect input speeds. I remember your original plan had to get a belt driven Bridgeport, which would fall under good VFD application.

If you insist on using the VFD for the vari speed head, make sure it is configured to allow only 60hz output. Do NOT use the pot, disable it in the settings. Also, I would not make use of the dynamic braking feature or the dynamic start up... The transmission was not designed for that. Go from 0hz to 60hz with no ramp up. I can't guarantee it'll work well and not break anything, but this is what you want to do if you go this route.

A rotary phase converter can be easily made from a surplus 3 phase motor that is pull started. You would still need to get magnetic starters for both the RPC and the mill.

All you need is three buttons, start, stop, reverse... as impressive as it looks the control panel is total unecessary, a waste of money, and I would say it detracts from the classic styling of the machine, as well.

Leave on the original buttons, and wire them to the VFD, or a magnetic starter should you ever get a RPC.

Latest posts

Back