Brass key.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Bird

Reaction score
Hi,

Just before Christmas 2016 a young couple purchased the property next door to where we live. Early in 2017 they submitted plans for a large extension to the property and a few weeks ago in June the builders arrived and started work. A couple of days ago we were told that they had finished - demolishing! We know there have been unexpected problems; among which was woodworm, hence the disappearance of the roof.

A photograph of the 'finished' work taken a few days ago.

If you look closely you might be able to see something mounted on the right hand side of the wide horizontal baton on the white wall. Yesterday I took a closer photograph after it had moved possibly due to a screw failure.

It was obviously well used by the previous occupier judging by the polish on the pegs. At sometime in the future the property will be re-built and there will be a house warming party; along with the usual gifts given at this sort of a 'do' I thought they might like a bit of their original purchase albeit slightly altered. How they will view this gift remains to be seen. I have absolutely no idea what I will do with it but I suspect I will have some time to work things out.

So far the key holder has been removed from the wall.

The steel key pegs have been removed, it has been cleaned and the two securing holes plugged.

A charity shop purchase has supplied a couple of supports. The stem of one of the candle sticks has already been used on another project.

The bases of the candle sticks have been filled with Plaster of Paris.

When dry and flattened the plaster had cork glued to it which has had a protect layer of masking tape applied to it.

This is how it looks at the moment.

What happens next, with what and when is anybody's guess.

Regards Tony.

I'm more than certain they will truly appreciate it. Very nice gesture on your part.
Gbritnell

Hi,

Over the weekend I had been thinking of what to make with the key. We have only met the couple a few times and I am pretty sure neither are into any type of modelling. It wouldn't be practical to make anything that needed to be set fire to anyway, so I thought more of an executive toy. To that end I had a look through the bits and pieces box and decided on a silver plated specimen vase and a grate brush.

The specimen vase was diamond cut and probably made in the 1960/70's, in the days when Britain still made its own ornaments!

The vase was mounted in the lathe and its base removed.

The jaws of the three jaw chuck was used to mark out for three holes in the vase.

A piece of brass 'T' section was cut and machined.

A plug and piston were made.

With the grate brush handle and shaft clean up some of the parts were assembled.

When all of the parts are assembled and a non-return valve made; we have an Executive's Balloon Inflator! Well maybe.....

Further thoughts are required.

Regards Tony.

Hi,

After sometime I decided to drop the engine idea as I couldn't think of a design I liked the look of, so with the help of a couple of candlestick stems I went back to the original thoughts.

The couples house because of many unforeseen problems is still many months away from completion so I will have plenty of time to find a container for the gift.

Regards Tony.

IMG_3418 LR.jpg

IMG_3420  LR.jpg

Nifty apparatus for blowing up balloons. I am sure the new neighbours will like it.

Hi,

After several months I have found a suitable recycled wooden box to put the Balloon Inflator in, a wine box.

A means of location has been fitted to the bottom of the box and a couple of photographs stuck inside the lid.

So our house warming gift is finished. Alas the same cannot be said of the house the problems keep happening and it will be many months before it is finished. The couple now have a two month old daughter, hopefully they will be in the house before she starts school!

Regards Tony.

IMG_4652 LR.jpg

IMG_4654 LR.jpg

IMG_4653 LR.jpg

001 IMG_2042 LR.jpg

IMG_4651 LR.jpg

Back