Fiddlepoke intro

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddlepoke

Reaction score
Hi
Retirement and Covid quarantine and then shielding, has had a positive aspect for me. I have rediscovered HMEM community. Having known about it, but always thought that it was the domain of experienced model engineers rather than wannabe ones - like me. I now realise it is very inclusive.

I discovered the Webster plans a while ago; then came across YouTube videos of the running machines, that eventually led me HMEM. To my delight, the discovery included a series of detailed build logs for the Webster; the problem resolution parts of these logs, are most interesting. I have concluded that even I, with minimal experience could "have a go". So a big thank you for this treasure trove of ideas, techniques and encouragement. Metal and sundry parts has been ordered and hopefully, I can post my own YT running video sometime.

I bought a second hand Myford lathe 20+ years ago, but not really done very much with it, save installing a DRO a couple of years ago. I have been disheartened that my mill (a Sieg X2), does not drill holes in the expected direction (perpendicular to the table) and is less than rigid when undertaking anything but the lightest work, but there are threads covering these topics with ideas to correct the problems. So I now have a period of fixing machines in preparation for making the Webster and a few other ic designs I have wanted to build but not done anything more than making 2-3 parts and then enthusiasm waned.

The fiddlepoke name. It was a long running joke in the family. When our children were small, we were frequently telling them "Look with your eyes, not with your fingers" We had a (full) set of fiddlepokes. As a parent I feel I'm allowed to inherit the name, especially in the workshop.

Latest posts

Back