Boxford model A Power feed question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thezetecman

Reaction score
How do I reverse the power feed on this lathe?

The power feed control when up powers right to left which is ok. but I can not seem to find a way to reverse this.

When the power feed control is down. The cross feed feeds from work center and out towards the operator. Which is not that useful.

Is there a way to make the drive screw run in the opposite direction to the
rotation of the main spindle?

OR do i have a fault with my clutch (star knob) should this be wound in for one direction and wound out for the other? This does not make sense to me as how would you cut a Left hand thread?

I can reverse the whole lathe but not the power feed or screw?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have searched google for a manual but could not find one.

Regards
Paul

It is many years since I owned a Boxford, but it is a copy of a South Bend and most small lathes with both longitudinal and cross power feed use the same method.

There are two levers involved. One on the apron beside your clutch has three positions, longitudinal feed, neutral for threading with the half nuts, and cross feed. Use this lever to select the option you want to use.

On the left end of the headstock is another lever that has gears which engage a gear on the end of the spindle. It also has three positions. Forward and reverse on the leadscrew and a neutral in the middle. HTH Stan

Thanks that explains it I think the lathe must be missing a gear.

The leaver on the right hand side has 3 positions but only 1 does anything.

Looking at the arm I only have one gear. Any one have a spare?

I have only had a band saw for a few years and I just got what ever blade I could find at Lowes or Home Depot. Until I read a post on the forum about Starrett bi-metal blades and how good they were. I ordered a couple from Travers and got them in this past week. It was awesome to be able to pick the teeth per inch, rake and set of the teeth to get what I wanted instead of just taking what was available. They even have a page to help you select the right blade and parameters for the work you are doing. It is incredible how much faster a good blade cuts. I am a convert now and will order my blades rather than accept the cheap junk available locally. So, thanks to whoever made that post.

Latest posts

Back