Boring is no longer boring

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
Last time George Seal visited, we went to visit his newly acquired manual grinder and I lucked into a small tool bonanza. I managed to score a set of 5 boring bars for HSS cutters, a speed handle for my vise, a slitting saw arbor and a 1/2 inch keyless chuck (jacobs taper).. all for $30.00. The same guy also gave me a MT2 tailstock turret for bringing George and Kvom by his place. Needless to say, I thanked him and scurried home with my treasure find.

I've been struggling with boring ever since I first attempted the operation. All I had to use were the Chinese brazed carbide tipped boring bars we've all owned at one point or another. Since they tend to spring quite a bit, getting a nice straight bore was a matter of "getting close" and then lapping the very devil out of the hole until it submitted.

Yesterday I took the time to make a QCTP holder for the 1/2 boring bar, sharpened up a piece of HSS to what seemed like a workable angle and gave the thing a try. Sweet sainted mother of Molly Brown!!. What a difference a quality tool can make. With a minor adjustment to my cutter geometry, I was quickly cutting nice straight, very smooth bore cuts.

I began a project this weekend that will eventually become a pair of manually machined curved spoke flywheels. The outer rim of these will be aluminum, while the spokes will be brass. The outer rims were cut from an old 5 inch hydraulic piston which was some of the toughest aluminum I've ever tried to cut. The new boring bar made the job one heck of a lot more fun than ever before. When done, the bore was dead nuts on 3.3750 inches from end to end. I had a lot less fun trying to do the cut off operations way out at 5.0000 diameter through the 9/16 wall. Like I said... this stuff is some tough metal.

Bottom line.... proving once again that having good tools makes a huge difference in the experience.

And yes.... the flywheel project will become a thread in the near future.

Steve

Oh yeah! Tools (correct ones) can make the world of difference to your machining experience. Bit by bit I am upgrading my not-so-good tools for better ones, and at the same time getting the right tool for the right job. Cost is always the limiting factor, as the things you really want is usually just out of reach, so you settle for second best. Unless you score like you did Cedge! (and me sometimes ;D) My latest upgrade was a simple one: I replaced my Jacobs with a keyless model. I L-O-V-E it!!

Keep us posted on that flywheel. I'm forever looking for ideas to make 'em look fancy without complicated machining.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back