Boiler Materials

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKIPRAT

Reaction score
Hi Gang
I am going to ask a silly question that being i have decided to construct a simple centre tube low pessure pot boiler ( thanks for the inspiration firebird ) on similar lines to the one that is well descibed on this forum. the question being i had a dive under the bench and dipped in the non ferrous treasure box and came up with a bit of copper tube 8 inches long 3 inches diameter and 16G thickness also found a bit of copper sheet 10 inches long 6 inches wide 16G thickness although the sizes are not the ones specified on the drawings can they be used and dimensions altered to suit. just need to know as it is my first attempt at a boiler

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

Nice to know I have inspired somebody. There are formula's to work out the safe working pressure for a boiler given the thickness of the tube and end plates. Maths is not my strong subject so I'll leave that to others. If you look at the other boiler I made, a horizontal, (its over in the a work in progress section under the heading A SMALL BOILER ) and dig back a few pages you will see where the safe working pressure has been worked out for me. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rich

Latest posts

Back