Boiler for WOMBAT

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiev

Reaction score
Just a few pics of the boiler under construction
5c00c36b.jpg

1/2 " tubes finally soldered
f8150ad3.jpg

Red gum former to press dome
3c846a86.jpg

Dome complete and trial fit

bf4c50ec.jpg

Ooh, that is nice. From what I understand, the boiler shell is steel and only the tubes are copper?
Great work :)

Thats correct bluecat. The case is 1/4" thick hydraulic casing and 13 half inch copper tubes silver soldered 45% silver. The dome fabricated from 1.2 mm steel and formed with 12 ton press and a lot of hammering with home made lead hammer

What thickness are your tube plates? They look a bit thin for what seems about a 4"dia steel boiler

Jason

Hi Jason
The tube plates are only 3.5 mm thick. I should have used much thicker but being my first ever boiler I made a bit of a boo boo. Anyhow i will give it a good pressure test and see what happens.

Its not so much the initial test, its what happens a few years down the line as there is very little allowance for wastage (rusting).

Jason

Rust would be a problem. I got plenty of length so i might just chop the ends off and resolder the tubes in something more sustantial. Oh well. Live and learn

Do the calcs first rather than just pick up "something more sustantial" its likely to be 5-6mm thick

I Would not consider building a steel boiler in Australia with out a copy of AMBSC Code Part 2. The very minimal cost will more than make up for the lost time and effort to do something over.

The tube sheet specs in the AMBSC steel code are thick enough to not need any additional stays.

Dan

I bought a copy of the AMBSC code for steel boiler. Glad I did. There is a lot of useful info in there not only from a design standpoint, but construction methods and techniques.

The AMBSC codes are a great "Reader's Digest" version of codes. Straight forward and easy to understand. Worth the investment.

I got the miniature copper boiler code too. Another good one.

I shall get a copy of the code and do a rebuild. Thanks to all for the advice. HMEM is a really great site.

Definitely take pride in what you've done, you've obviously got great metalworking skills! Nice job so far.

Latest posts

Back