"Blown" TIM6 ignition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankshafter

Reaction score
Hi all.
To day it was time to try starting my Hoglet 8) but when I was wiring up the TIM6- module I forgot to earth the module to the engine and now I have no spark :-[???
Something is blown, hope it's only the Hall sensor. Any suggestion???
PS.: I know it was OK when I tested it yesterday.

Crankshafter

Hi CS,
On occasion I have 'blown' something in my TIM-6 ignition. Rather than replace the whole thing for two transistors I found a good electronics source in this country for components and ordered several of both of them. They were very inexpensive. Not knowing which transistor failed I just replaced them both. Everything worked fine. The chance of burning up any of the resistors is quite slim. Here is the link to the U.S. supplier but I'm sure you would have a large supplier in Oslo.
http://www.digikey.com/
gbritnell

Hi George.
Thank you for the help/ link.
Yes I found several suppliers here in Norway. Will try them first.
Isn't it frustrating when you sc...w up things :wall: :redface2:, but you have to put it at the learning account ;D
CS

Hi CS,
Another thing you might try before exchanging components is to test the ignition by simulating contact points instead of the hall trigger. On Jerry's drawing it shows which two wires to use for a contact points setup. Hook one to the body of the spark plug, the high tension lead to the terminal on the plug and then tap the other wire to the ground wire, the plug should fire. If it doesn't then the components need to be changed. If it does fire the hall transistor is bad. These can also be purchased from your supplier.
gbritnell

Hi there in Strongsville :)
Thanks for the advise George.
No need for transistors :big: I wired it up like you said and voila, nice blue sparks woohoo1.
Ordered some Hall sensors, 10 pieces, just in case :big: :big:

OT: Wish I could have join you guy's at NAMES, it would have been a dream come true.
I have to save some ,kroner,(Norwegian$) for some years, until retirement ;D

Happy CS

Latest posts

Back