Bending tubes the easy way

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

Hi All,
If you downloaded my little book on building a steam engine, you would most probably have seen this picture in there.

Tubebender-1.jpg

In my opinion it is one of the easiest benders to make that I have come across. But as a word of warning, you will really need a rotary table and chuck that can be mounted vertically to easily make the rollers, unless you are a whiz kid at making very accurate round nosed tools for the lathe.
I diverted from the plans in that I put two grooves in each roller, except for the 1/4" one, and by having two different diameters of roller, so two radii sizes can be bent, and they can be made to give you a range of radii to suit your needs as the rollers are adjustable. This bender easily copes with sizes from 3/32" to 1/4" in annealed brass and copper tube (I wouldn't try bending the elbow engine piston on it), and the rollers can be cut with metric sizes if needed.
This took less than an easy day in the workshop to make.
I can't post the plans because of copyright but I am sure if you PM me with your email address I can show you how to build it.

John

Al,
That is a perfect tip for the solution to making one of these benders. Many thanks.
Just going to make five of them. Or make one, with 1/4" silver steel bits with ends turned to the size needed.

John

Latest posts

Back