Bending plexiglas--questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, you're not scaring me off, Garry. We all know a few things, and then there are a big gob of things we don't know. This is one of the "don't know" things, for me.
If I have to make more than one to get what I want, that's the way it goes, but all the good advice here gives me a nice head start.

It's just going to be a splash shield for a 6" lathe. Mainly to keep chips in a manageable clean-up area, and to keep sling oil off me, and the walls. The lathe has a plain bearing, and it slings a little oil now and then.

Dean

Dean, you could mount 2 strips of wood on each end with several bolts to give you something to hold onto. It will also keep the ends rigid so it won't try to bend in all 4 ways as you are getting it to the mold. Also set it on something to raise it off of the oven racks or they will make a nice impression in the plastic. I would raise it a good 3-4 inches at least.

I think a thickness of 1/8 in would be sufficient and will be stiff enough.
Go to Lowes or one of the other stores and check the stiffness of the different sizes. You might be surprised by how stiff 1/8 would be in the size you need for the guard.

Ron

Rick Harris wrote:
"Cut the plastic with a normal band saw or hacksaw. You can score and break but it leaves a sharp edge and may not be accurate.

Finish the edges before bending with files and wet and dry paper in sucesive grades then polish with metal polish if necessary."

I found that after you cut the plastic and/or sand it, you can lightly pass a lit propane torch over the rough edges to smooth them out. I also used this technic once to remove the wood grain marks left behind from a wooden mold I used to form a plastic part.

Some of the plastic sheeting that is available can be formed in a hot water bath. Acrylic (I think*). It is fairly easy to work and goes absolutely limp when the proper temperature is reached. Check the specifications of the material that you wish to form as plastics come in a wide variety
of tempers and formable temperature ranges.

BC1
Jim

Back