Bending brakes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireReplica

Reaction score
Which 24" bending brake will best enable me to make small channel stock from .020 brass sheet: the Grizzly or Shop Fox? I'm open to suggestions!!

Thanks!!!

John

How small is small? Do you know the rough dimensions of what you need to make and how long it needs to be?

"C" channel--9/16" X 3/16", in varying lengths. Yes, I could cut strips of brass and solder, but also pondered making the channel from aluminum. With either material, I reasoned using one of these bending brakes might make the task easier. But in looking at both machines, the only difference to me was the labeling.

John

almost everything grizzly sells is also sold under other brand names, with minor variations if any, grizzly sells shop fox brand id say they probaby own the brand.

If you google "9/16" square brass tubing" you will find an amazon site that sells 3' lengths for about $15 you could then cut the square tubing into channels fairly simply so you would get six feet of channel for $15. Not too bad. The same company may have channel already made. Didn't look. I think this would be a better way to end up with some nice channel quickly and with far less hassle than buying a brake to do it (unless this is a tool quest). Even more so if they actually have some channel.

Thank you for your suggestion!!

Didn't even think of the square route. And am grateful I don't have buy a brake at this point!

Happy New Year!!!

John

one issue with square is that when you cut it you will probably get a big curl in the piece which you will have to straighten and some time the results are not as good as when one forms it. nature of the beast stuff :mad:

wannabemachinist said:
one issue with square is that when you cut it you will probably get a big curl in the piece which you will have to straighten and some time the results are not as good as when one forms it. nature of the beast stuff :mad:

All cold worked materials suffer from this - as a result of the processes imparting a compressive stress in the skin.

Unmachined, these forces are equal and opposite so the material remains straight.

Remove the skin (on one side) and the compressive stresses "bend" the part towards the removed material.

This can be extremely pronounced - I once removed 1mm from the side of a 50mm x 50mm x 1000mm bar of BMS and it bent something like 20mm - a similar thing happened when I milled a keyway down the length of a BMS rod.

To overcome this you have to destress the material by normalising in an oven before machining.

Brass, Aluminium and Copper are not immune from this problem but depends on grades and degree of cold working.

Ken

I was thinking of making a wooden fixture to hold the square and saw on a bandsaw. Then I would hold the "new" channel with wood, sides, inside, and mill to size.

Is this viable?

The other thought I had was to purchase straight stock and solder pieces to form the channel.

Would prefer to dodge purchasing the brake! I've also been told that a finger brake is far more useful than a box brake--however the cost is greater.

John

Unless the square tube is supported inside and out, you will get a lot of bending and roughness from cutting on the bandsaw. A small abrasive cutoff wheel, like a dremel would give a smoother cut.

Chuck

Depending on the deatils of the process used to make the square tubing, there may, indeed, be residual stresses that cause the part to warp when these stresses become unbalanced (like when you cut it in half). The only way to know for sure is to try it and see what happens. If it is an issue, you can anneal the tubing before you cut it by heating it up to a dull red and letting it cool. This is probably best done in a darkened room so you can see the color better. A propane torch should work for something like this. That said, you can probably melt it if you're not careful. After you've annealed it, it will be real soft and more difficult to machine than it was. As far as cutting goes, the suggestion above to support it with a stick down the middle is a good one. I still think I would try this approach before I tried to solder it up from pieces. That sounds like a headache. Good luck!!

FireReplica said:
Which 24" bending brake will best enable me to make small channel stock from .020 brass sheet: the Grizzly or Shop Fox? I'm open to suggestions!!

Thanks!!!

John

Hi John,

Here you say 3/16" for the 2 legs correct? and how long will it be? I ask because 3/16" may be hard to hold without it slipping from the jaws as you bend. But because of the thickness you stated it may work as long as the material is not to hard but it must be a bendable grade.

I own a 24" ShopFox M1011 Pan and Box Break and I think its great. I do some small electrical chassis out of aluminum using 16 gauge, if the part is less than 24" long then you can bend thicker stuff too, I have used it to bend 3" wide 1/8" thick aluminum also. But based on 16ga aluminum at 18" a 3/16" lip is not doable, 1/4"+ is more reliable for a lip.

Hope this helps.
Rob

All the suggestions are very helpful. Typically I work in the smaller scale of 1:32 scale, but this project I'm working on is 1:16 scale--whole different way of doing things!!

I've learned that locating .020 sheet brass sizes larger than what K&S or Special Shapes offer can be difficult. So it appears I'm back to soldering up pieces of straight stock to form the required C-channels.

Thanks for everyone's help--really appreciate it!!

John

If not too expensive, would you consider milling them out of solid?

Latest posts

Back