beginner wondering about lathes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian.
The owners of Busy Bee and Grizzly tools are related. I can't say for sure if your right or not about them being brothers.

Pete

Lee,

It has been pointed out to me that I took unwarranted offense at you initial remarks regarding Chinese machinery.

PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES. In future I will try and read more thoroughly before typing.

Best Regards
Bob

HI just my 10P's worth we can only by tools and mashens that we can a ford a old saying is the tool is only as good as the person yousing it and as cutting SS with a hacksaw strate you is not yousing the saw properly have a look at my engine No 11 and see me cutting a Peace of 80 mm DI SS where i worked we had sum castings to be machend up as the castings came from China they decided to by a clack lathe to do the job the resin for the decision being as the lathe is cheep its beater to distroy that than the good ones at work and ges wot they still have the lathe 5 yeas on and its still being yous ed every day not bad considering its made for Hobey yous PS forgive spelling

1hand said:
That's why I'm only half as accurate as MB. :big:

Rof} Damn ...I think I hurt myself on that one 1hand.... :big: ;D

About 7 years ago I wanted to get into working with metal. I had limited space and funds. There wasn't an american machine or machines out there that I could afford, nor a combo machine of American manufacture of any decent size. I purchased a Chinese made Smithy 1220xl and a text book, Machine Shop Practice. This import machine was inexpensive, but did most everything I asked of it. It has it's drawbacks, the main one being setup between mill and lathe, and the mill itself. But a good learning experience. I've got more room now and will soon purchase a seperate milling machine. I've considered selling the Chinese combo machine, But I have a good deal of accessories for the lathe and it works good. I'll just swing the mill head out of the way or remove it and keep the lathe running. I don't have a tremendous amount of room and don't need a large mill. So what are my options, really. I'll probably purchase an import. I think the machine manufacturers in this country should make smaller machines at a reasonable price for people like me, but that is not going to happen. They make their money on large proven designed machines that large industry buy. I think if it wasn't for the imports there would be alot less members on this forum and a lot less people having fun, as hobbiests. By the way, in China, Taiwan, South Korea, etc they make alot of machinery and products, some are very good. I think South Korea and maybe China make cargo ships and super tankers, including the engines. What machines do they use? Are they importing American machines? or are they using thier own machines.
Ken

From the '30 onward the only lathe that most people could afford was the Good old Atlas (also sold under other names like Craftsman by Sears) lathe. Most farms where likely to have one and so did many homes. It was an useful machine in this environment but it had many faults like die cast parts, cheap gears and near the end, a lot of plastic parts but they got the job done. Quality wise these lathe where no better then the modern Chinese equipment and you don't hear a lot of badmouthing about them, only because they where made in the US and not China.

I don't no why someone could not make something similar today, in the US, even if they had to buy in castings for off shore, for a reasonable (more than a Chinese version but still affordable to most of us) price but no one seems to want to try. There definitely is a market for that type of machine. IH does this with their version of the RF 45 Mill.

Now the ever present Chinese 12 x 36" lathe has filled the gap and can be considered the "new Atlas" lathe. It will preform adequately in the home and hobby shop, it's not perfect but it will get the job done nicely. It's not so big that you can't do the smaller work but is big enough to do much of the larger machining that may come along in the future as your skills progress. The cost of these machines is within the budget of many/most home shop owners, even if they have to save up for it.

Latest posts

Back