BAZMAK-A dedicated indexing head for the Sieg mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My next project,still in my head and on the back of a cigarette packet
The manual RT I made works well and I use it a lot but the indexing is limited
I thought I would make some thing better and maybe have a go at cutting gears,just for experience ,nothing in particular at this moment.So its build as you go and we will see what pops out at the end.Build has just started so any input would be most welcome

I made something similar to cut a new gear for a small machine. The chuck held a stub shaft and blank while the other end held the original worn out gear. It was a simple task to move the old gear one tooth, drop in an indexing blade and lock the shaft before cutting a new tooth in the blank. I recall it was 42 teeth at a 30% angle so you might consider another variable as not all gears with be straight cut.

The gear was for my wife's Braun kitchen machine which was 40 years old (wedding gift) and replacement gears were not available. I cut a new gear and the Braun machine runs again but to be sure I cut two more for at least 120 years of future service. This one project justified the milling machine.

Wow! Nice start. I might suggest a little niter all bracing in the steel tubing. Even a relatively thin plate welded in, will make the tubing much stiffer.

thought about bracing amongst other things,early days yet,its suck it and see at the moment.Just started on a holding collar and the first indexing plate
Will keep you posted

My compliments and I made up something similar but using my Myford 3 jaw independent but to cut the 1" spiral vertical column on my Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder. Perhaps my notes to James this AM suggests an alternative.

To get twice as many 'divisions' one makes an alternative detent to utilise the peaks and troughs in the gear teeth.
Might I add a further suggestion which may be desirable and that is a clamp to hold the work. You could knock a tooth out of a cast iron gear!

So I look forward to an interesting post.

Regards

Norman

Bit more progress.I decided against using change gears to index
and decided to make a no of division plates.I made a holding collar
keyed to the shaft and the first divisin plate from 6mm thk x 130 dia
it cleaned up in the lathe to nom 5mm thk.Using my RT already predrilled
for 60 divs I drilled and reamed 60 holes 4mm dia on nom 115 pcd
Now making a start on a sliding detent pi housing.I think I can get 3 or 4
rows of holes.Thinking of 56,54,48 for starters.Any ad vice ???

Finished detent housing.It works well ,need to harden the silver steel pin
at a later date,but it locates well on 60 holes at 125 pcd.I can get a max of
4 rows so have to make a few calcs for best choice.How to make an index
with a non functioning head.Think I will have to mark out paper strips
and use my RT

Lovely piece of work Baz.

That is one of the easiest to make division plate indexers that I have seen being made.

Shame you don't live a little closer, I could have knocked out those extra holes for you in no time.

Nice one

John

Thanks John,i have taken the long way round and the first plate is finished
I must say even I am impressed.4 rows @ 60,56,54 and 44 it all works well
Will now turn my thoughts to the tailstock.First thoughts were to fit a housing
to accept MT2 but on second thoughts I only need a dead centre.No need for anything else (Revolving ctre,chuck etc) unless anyone tells me differently
Maybe a half dead cenre and adjustment to take up the slack.
Also I did not think it was necessary for a lock,because of the positive detent pin but some locations have a couple of thou play from the pin so a lock may be an advantage.Also don't know if I need it but someone mentioned to stiffen the tube with a gusset,i want to avoid any welding now everything is square and aligned to a couple of thou so may use bolted fixings.Any comments from others would be most appreciated.

I would add a lock to the shaft if we are voting. My indexing was on a worn gear to cut a replica and the lock was absolutely required. After a lot of use when parts may get sloppy a lock on your shaft will ensure repeatable results, in my opinion.

Was looking over your past threads, you like making stuff - noticed a theme, you like triangulation and/or doing operations in line with the hold down clamps.

Box tube is stout, gussets? Naw, perhaps tho, a third hold attachment point, external left side to pick up the center rail.

All you need now is a half a hole locating pin as well as your normal one, that would effectively give you double the number of holes. the pin would need to be around half the diameter of the pin lower than the main pin and located in the correct position in another part of the slot.

I have seen it done on gearwheels, where you have the lock fit over a gear tooth, with another that fits down into the valley between two teeth, so you use the over the tooth first, then the valley one and so on, one after another, so doubling the number of indexes on a gear.

Just hope that hasn't confused you.

John

Have been thinking doubling the no of pitches ,blogwitch by drilling say 2 sets of
50 on different pcds alternately to get the extra no on the plate.
With the stiffening,the wall thickness is 6mm and for the work it will be doing I think will be adequate.However I will make a bolt on gusset to improve ridgitity
and also I have in mind extra holding down bolts.If I drill thru on centreline
the head can bolt down as is with the 12 sq key in the central table slot
which will give me a max dia of gear I can cut,bringing the headstock towards the operator to the front slot will increase the max dia gear I can cut by approx. 70mm.
Will post a better explanation when I check it out.Its all in my head at the moment.All design mods are not necessarily needed, but it keeps me interested in life

Nice! I like the sliding mount for the indexing plunger.

- Nick

Good day Bazz,
Your work is always top quality, a prodigious talent.
Beautiful machining.
Well done. :)

May I ask is your mill an X2?
Regards,
Dennis

Latest posts

Back