Australia and New Zealand team build anyone?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its ok with Ausdier the more info we can get on this build the better.

Sorry guys I have been in hospital for a little time.
Here are a few pictures of something like what has been suggested except I tapped the original blocks after the guides are press in.
The picture represents an M6 thread which should then allow any sort of addapter to be made and then screwed in to take either the exhaust or a carby mount of the groups choosing.
This way there are no real changes to the original parts and if an exhaust or carby design needs to be changed you only need to make the appropriate addapter and screw it in.
As for those two small bolts that Dave is concerned about, I think that due to most of the parts being ally these bolts wil be more than fine.
Still just need a design that everyone wants for an exhaust pipe and carby.
If you would like to see some pictures just send me some info.
Then when everyone is happy I can whip up some workshop drawings for everyone.
Hope this helps. :)

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

I think it would be a good idea to fit a muffler of some description to these engines, because the exhaust is going to make quite a bit of noise with an open port like that.

Hi Ausdier, sorry to hear you have been in hospital, hope all
is well with you.
Your 3d view 07, illustrates one of the issues I was grappling with
in that the valve sits in that recess of the port, effectively sealed
off untill it is lifted 1mm. This leaves only 2mm of travel to exhaust,
resulting in a tiny opening for the gases to pass through.
( 1/3rd of the distance across a 6mm hole, not opening enough
to allow the engine to breath properly, in my opinion )

Dave

Has anyone seen one of these engines running or does someone know where there is a build log.
Something on youtube maybe ?
Just a little concerned about the compression ratio and the overall operation.:confused:

Ausdier. I have done a search for more info on this engine but come up blank. I contacted the designer with the above questions but no reply so I have serious doubts about this engine. I would also like to thank you for your time in supplying 3d images of the model. They are a great help

THE CURSE OF THE BASE PLATES. Just finished the batch of base plates and on inspection some of the holes looked out of alignment. Out with the digital calipers and yes, some holes were nearly 1mm out. Out with the MIG plugged them up and tried to re-drill. I dont know what mig wire consists of but it just melted the drill bits. At this stage I remembered the holes were drilled too large anyway, I thought getting a new length of steel and starting over was the best option. This time more care and no short cuts like it should have been done in the first place.
We live and learn.
P. S. Anyone know what drills they use for drilling out spot welds?

This is the sort of bit that I use.
The centre is spring loaded.
It is just like a hole saw.
You cut through the piece you dont want then grind/sand down flat what is left.

Also am working on some ideas to keep this engine alive and to not waste any parts that are already made.

spot drill.jpg

Thanks Ausdier. It looks like it cuts around the hard welded part.
We will end up with a working engine but I got a feeling it wont be smooth sailing
We have a great forum to help us along the way

I am a complete newbie to I.C engines but your drawings look sure help me understand how this one works. To me it looks perfect.

Thats interesting, certainly solves the compression and residual gases problem we were
facing, perhaps a roller cam follower with a small spring holding the follower against the
cam might be worth considering, as the exhaust valve spring is not very strong and may be
affected by the weight of the rocker lever.
But. then I guess we could just fit a stronger spring to the exhaust valve.
Got a plan for Ex valve adjustment?

Does this now make it an Australian design? ;)

Dave.

P. S. Anyone know what drills they use for drilling out spot welds?

Hello,

usually welds can be machined with HSS if You use the basic welding materials (sticks, wire), though there are several sticks/wire qualities around that are designed to give a hard welded upon surface thats wear resistant and can only get machined with grinder.

Another issue for machinability is that the steel of the parts is a steel quality suited for welding with low carbon content.
With high carbon steel, the rapid cooling of the weld will cause hardening of the material. Besides this, steel with more than 0,2% carbon tends to develop cracks during welding and its better not to weld it.

Mike

Hey Dave.
With the arm the way it is the centre of gravity is just forward of the pivot point.
Therefore there is no pressure from the arm on the valve.
Yet the pivot point could be moved more towards the cam and this would move more of the weight forward decreasing the chances of pressure on the valve.
If people want a roller follower on the arm that is easy to do as well.
What about an eccentric for exhaust valve adjustment ?
Any ideas bring them up and I will draw them, remember I am not building one of these (yet) so whatever you want just say.
Then as soon as everybody who is in on this build is happy with the end results I will put out drawings for the different parts.:)

14.jpg

ausdier; I believe you make some of the best, and easiest to understand drawings that I have seen.
I'm not from your neck of the woods. Just a displaced New Mexican, living in Texas, and loving it.
I am fairly new here, but your valving concept could be very adaptable to some of the ideas I've
been tossing around. Maybe this will get me started' as soon as the house is done.
ron2

Thanks a lot guys and girls.
As well as making things I do enjoy CAD (can you tell ;D) and if I can help people with their projects to keep them interested even better. Here is a link to my main current project that I am helping with.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,802.0.html
Then I have a scaled Ford engine to draw for another friend and also trying to squeese in another even more complex engine for a local mate, link here.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,887.15.html
Post #28 can you guess. :)
Even help with patterns and casting.

TO POUR.jpg

gone quiet in here, Ausdier's modifications are on the right track.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Dave

Hi Dave. I think the only reason its quiet in here is because now that we have some workable plans, thanks to Audier, we are all in our workshops making chips ;)

Hi Herbie, OK, well I'm sorta stuck at the moment, but perhaps Ausdier
has gone a little further with the drawings.
I think he is waiting for a response from all the team members
for approval of the new design before doing working drawings
for the head etc.

Dave

Dave

Back