Atlas MHC hor Mill Help needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelallito

Reaction score
Hello,
I just got an Atlas Hor Mill, the MHC model.
I just got it home and made a tool to check out the back gear drive. It might need a new motor, but it will turn, but sometimes needs a little push to start.
If anybody is familiar with this model, I would appreciate all help and advice.
I am thinking of adding the cheap Grizzly DRO to help me control the X and Z axis in particular, but will also do the Y.
The vise that came with it looks new. I also got a box full of cutters.
Thanks,
Fred

Fred, I got one and have not had that problem but did have it with other machines, sounds like a starting problem with the motor, try removing the belt and see what it does, probably need a motor shop to look at it or replace it, all I can be sure of it I like the little machine, good luck, Lathe Nut

Fred,
I've had that problem in the distant past. In some instances it can be a starting capacitor. In other cases, I have found it to be a function of the starting winding which allows the motor to start under a load. In the latter case, a centrifugal switch generally is used to engage the running winding after the armature has begun turning. Manually spinning the shaft can often start the motor- I ran one that way for a while. It doesn't answer the question of whether the starting winding or the switch is the culprit.

Lathenut and Briankenyn,
I tried a larger capacitor with no luck. Picked up a 1/3 Hp motor today and am installing it. I will need to buy/make 2 position pulleys for it. I am still playing with the belt tensions.
But I want to see it cutting tomorrow!! Later I will get the pulleys. Once I get it together I am sure I will have all sorts of questions for all.
Thanks for the help.
Fred

Installed new motor and had to make some parts for it. I finally saw it cut today!! Just a slot in a piece if pipe/tubing. I was delighted!!
Need to make a stand for it.
Fred ;D

Latest posts

Back