Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have one of these, but from the drawing at this location:

http://www.atlas-press.com/tb_6bg.htm

It looks like there is a pin on the face of the bull gear (shown just above the spindle in the drawing) that pulls out to disconnect it from the v-belt pulley?

Chuck

That's correct . . . pull that out, or rather forward.

The other fellows are right. Here's a pic.

bullgearpin.jpg

Pull that pin toward the spindle nose.

Dean

I found it...little bugger was hiding...Thanks !!!!! 55 RPM sure is slow !!!
Julian G.

It's relative, 55 RPM on a 27" swing lathe looks REALLY fast till you get used to it!

Kevin

joeby said:
It's relative, 55 RPM on a 27" swing lathe looks REALLY fast till you get used to it!

No kiddin'!

A place here in town used to have a 4 1/2 ft swing lathe with a 48" face plate. It was made for turning something like trunnions, and only had a bed of about 8'. Just enough to get the work on it, and still have room for the tail stock, which was really just a big casting with a large pointed shaft for a dead center. I seem to remember it being a Pacemaker, or American Tool Works, but I can't remember for sure.

It ran through a four speed Ford granny tranny. I don't think it would go more than 100 rpm. It was scary at that speed! That's a lot of big stuff going around.

Dean

The vertical boring mill that I ran at work had a table that is 118" in diameter.
This machine to be exact.
OM251.jpg

I did a large job on it one night that had a 13" journal fit in the center of it.
The fastest I was willing to spin it was 52RPM. At it's outer edge that table was
going past me at just over 1600 SFPM.

When you have a nearly 10 foot table spinning at 52RPM it really does
look fast!

Rick

Latest posts

Back