Arnot V-2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentprop

Reaction score
I recently started construction of the Arnot V-2,which was featured in the "Starting in steam"series in Model Boats (UK)magazine in the 1990's.
The basic frame and block are done,so here are a couple of pics.
frame1.jpg

frame3.jpg

That's all I've got so far,more pics when progress is made.
The engine will be powering a steam launch approx.40" long.

Nice looking Wobbler! :bow:

The reverse valve is in a seperate transfer block I assume?

Dave :)

Yes,the rev valve is incorporated in to the pipe work.I've made the piston rods,threw out 3 of them due to drunken threads and bending the rods.It's all on 3mm rod ,so a mite delicate.

Make youself a tailstock die holder.....that will cure the drunken thread. :)

Dave

I've got one of those,Dave,but find it actually does a worse job.The bed on my lathe is a bit worn near the chuck,so the tailstock sits too low.That might be a contributing factor.Not much I can do about that,other than having the bed and tailstock base reground.For the cost of the regrind,I could buy a new lathe :-\

OK is the socket that holds the die square to the lathe spindle?

If it is , even with a low tailstock, I mean less than .010" low, it should still work just fine.

If it's out of square, it will never cut a straight thread....check it

Turn up an arbor to just fit inside the die holder body ( any material will do)or set up the die holder shank in the spindle and set it as straight as you can. Slip the die holder on an then measure the runout with an indicator, both on the diameter that holds the die and the back face that it seats against. If there is more than a say .005" runout as you spin the dieholder around, you will have problems, especially with the finer threads.

I swear by my die holder, and it works great, but I know its true and I know I have good quality dies ( not excellent quality...just good)

give it a go....It's a great time saver this tool is

Additionally, you can shim you tailstock to get it inline...that does help with drilling small holes and such too.

Dave

Finished the cylinders and covers.May have to re-do the bottom covers,they look very thin to me(about1/32").Pistons and rods ready for packing.
Cylinders-pistons.jpg

Latest posts

Back