Are You Ashamed of Where You Live?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsquire

Reaction score
This message is addressed to over half of the members of HMEM.

RANT ON

Why do people insist on not putting their general location in their profile? Then they ask a question which requires people to know what part of the universe they live in to get a meaningful answer.

I dare everyone that reads this post to leave a reply indicating that you read it and if you don't have your location in your profile, that your next stop is going to be to change your profile to include your location.

Let's make it easier for everybody and put a city and country in our profile please.

RANT OFF

Thank you

Cheers :)

Don 4137

Don't let it bother you dsquire. Just do what i do. If the situation pops up again, ignore and move on. If they don't want to reveal a location, that's there choice. If it keeps others from helping them, it's there loss.

I also don't feel that anybody should feel pressured into doing something they are not comfortable doing. Live and let live.

Maybe some are shy ::) and others are under cover 8)

cheers Ferd

I am thinking we have a lot of members in the witness protection program and their location is secret.

The downside to posting your location is that Zeeprogrammer finds out where you live. I have visions of a guy in a Tutu showing up at my front door. That's scary!

Dad blast it. I was wondering why I hadn't gotten the bill yet. Time to sweeten the deal and offer some incentive...

Let's see..I got some old dentures, some readers...wait...all I got to do is remind them you're in Oklahoma.

See ya Rick. It's been nice.

They'd show up in a tutu if I asked them...but they don't know what it is. (And I don't dare explain it to them.) :big:

Any of you people on here are welcome to show up at my place (even you ZEE),I have nothing to hide and the coffee is always on.

Regards ,
Ian( seagar)
Coffs Harbour N.S.W.
Australia.

All wEc1

More of less what I was going to say Ian, dunno 'bout that Zee tho' - that could lower the tone a bit.

And yes, these 'mystery men' annoy me a bit as well.

Getting back to the original post, as for me it is a rather serious matter, and not something to be made light of.

Don't worry about it Don, I have asked the same question a few times before.

All I do now, if it doesn't have at least have the country, I don't give regional links. As has been said before, their loss.

To me it is only common courtesy to show at least the country.

But it seems like that even manners are disappearing off the site, when you give a good and proper answer to a question, it doesn't even get acknowledged.
Someone only very recently did that to me, and they didn't realise that by blanking my posting, they have lost out a lot in both financial and help terms. They won't get a second chance.

So please gents, one last plea, courtesy and manners.

Bogs

To me the worries of revealing personal information is very genuine for people who have experienced such things as identity theft. Then again if you were genuinely concerned about such things why would you be a member of an interactive forum such as this ???

Yes, it's very annoying. I never respond to such posts.

The identity theft paranoia is an absurdly weak argument. We're not asking for your house address or your mother's maiden name. If you live in a small town and are worried, just give the name of the nearest large city.

Be sure to give the name of the state/province/country/etc. as well. Telling us you live in London is ambiguous. Canada has a London and there are several in the USA. I've even heard that there is one in the UK.

I would not be so fast in assuming people are hiding where they live. There is a place to fill out your location in the profile, but it does not show up in your posts. You need to have the savvy to add your location in the "Personal text" field under the "picture" part of your profile, something the regulars may have long forgotten they have done. I am fairly web savvy, and it took me quite a while to figure that out on my own.
I suspect there may be a flag in the forum administration software that would actually display your location, but it is not turned on. Its only natural to fill out your location, and then wonder why it is not displayed like so many of the regulars. ???
As to being actually ashamed of where I live, well, sometimes I am. But on this board, having cheap machines tools, 7 major tooling suppliers, uncountable small and large raw material suppliers, platers, anodizers, numerous retired professional tool and die makers, mouldmakers, pattern makers, and enough small tool makers on every corner that building a quorn would be a waste.... Well around here I feel like a king sometimes. :) I do sympathize with my brethren whom cannot walk down the street and borrow a cup of Vactra from the neighbors.

its not as if im ashamed of where i live its just a bit rough apparently its the second biggest council estate in the uk but i have changed my profile to give a little more accuracy to my location just not the street name and number just to show i aint hiding just dont want the tax man finding me haa haa :big:

how do you put your location on ??? allowing that I'm not all that computer savvy

I would not be so fast in assuming people are hiding where they live. There is a place to fill out your location in the profile, but it does not show up in your posts. You need to have the savvy to add your location in the "Personal text" field under the "picture" part of your profile, something the regulars may have long forgotten they have done. I am fairly web savvy, and it took me quite a while to figure that out on my own.

When I'm looking for a location I go to the individual's profile (click on screen name or "little person" icon on left of post). I don't depend on his having put it under his avatar. If he's entered a location it will show in his profile; its absence there means he never entered anything. All too often it's blank indicating that he never entered anything.

Oldben,

Here's how to have it show up under your avatar.

On a post you've made, click on your screen name to bring up your profile.

On the left of the screen look for "Modify Profile"

Go down to "Forum Profile Information" and click on it.

Find where it says "Personal Text". Fill in your location. Brevity is a virtue.

Also, from this page you can add an avatar photo and set up a signature block if you wish.

When you've made all the changes you wish on the page, go to the bottom of the page and press the button marked "Change Profile".

Didnt know how to put it there, thanks Marv for the tips, done now.

Ian

Marv

Thanks for posting the info on changing your profile. I was writing an article up off line on the same thing and I see that you have beat me to it with a better article and shorter. :bow:

Don

mARV, tHANKS FOR THE KNOW HOW. I'm tring to now. larry

Thanks for the write up Marv, I'm sure it'll help.

And yes Don, I am. ;D

Cheers

Jeff

mklotz said:
Yes, it's very annoying. I never respond to such posts.

Telling us you live in London is ambiguous. Canada has a London and there are several in the USA. I've even heard that there is one in the UK.

Unfounded rumour Marv, been the length and breath of the country and never found it yet [ or could that be never WANT to find it ?? ]

John S.

black85vette

I am thinking we have a lot of members in the witness protection program and their location is secret.

If that is the case then they have just blown their cover as their IP # is traceable by anyone that really wants to find them.

Zee

Dad blast it. I was wondering why I hadn't gotten the bill yet. Time to sweeten the deal and offer some incentive...

Bills in the mail. I know, your going to tell me that the cheque is in the mail. Won't work, want cash.

Ian
Tel

Thanks for the invite. If it wasn't so far I would be there in a flash. Of all the places I would like to go and visit Auz is at the top of the list and always has been. Thanks guys.

Bogs

To me it is only common courtesy to show at least the country.

Thanks for your support John. While I can't change the world at least a few have already added their locations to their posts and more have asked how to do it so I see it as a move in the right direction.

Maryak

To me the worries of revealing personal information is very genuine for people who have experienced such things as identity theft. Then again if you were genuinely concerned about such things why would you be a member of an interactive forum such as this.

I agree on the personal information bit but hiding the country that you live in is a bit much. Makes one wonder what else they are hiding!

Marv

The identity theft paranoia is an absurdly weak argument. We're not asking for your house address or your mother's maiden name. If you live in a small town and are worried, just give the name of the nearest large city.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks Marv

Jeff

Thanks for pointing that out to me. Marv has made a post that explains how to put this information into your profile so that it shows up in your posts.

Well around here I feel like a king sometimes. :) I do sympathize with my brethren whom cannot walk down the street and borrow a cup of Vactra from the neighbors.

I guess that is one of the good reasons for living in Detroit.

johnthomp

its not as if im ashamed of where i live its just a bit rough apparently its the second biggest council estate in the uk but i have changed my profile to give a little more accuracy to my location just not the street name and number just to show i aint hiding just dont want the tax man finding me haa haa big laugh

You need to edit your profile and add your location either under "my first engine" or "dont look at what something is look at what it can be" then click on "save changes". I'm sure the tax man has better things to do than scan these forums looking for tax dodgers addresses.

oldben

how do you put your location on Huh? allowing that I'm not all that computer savvy

Just read post # 13 by Marv and that will show you how to do it and thanks for asking and replyng.

boatmadman

Didnt know how to put it there, thanks Marv for the tips, done now.

Thanks boatmadman for replying and making the changes.

larry

mARV, tHANKS FOR THE KNOW HOW. I'm tring to now.

Thanks for adding your location to your profile and thank you Marve for the helping hand.

Jeff

Thanks for the write up Marv, I'm sure it'll help.
And yes Don, I am.

Thanks Jeff for adding your location in your profile.

-------------------------------------

Thanks to all who have responded and an even greater thanks to those who have made changes to their profile so their location now shows. If anyone is srill having trouble getting their profile changed just ask back here with a message or PM a moderator and I am sure someone will be able to help you.

Don

Back