Are You Ashamed of Where You Live?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dsquire said:
This message is addressed to over half of the members of HMEM.

RANT ON

Why do people insist on not putting their general location in their profile? Then they ask a question which requires people to know what part of the universe they live in to get a meaningful answer.

I dare everyone that reads this post to leave a reply indicating that you read it and if you don't have your location in your profile, that your next stop is going to be to change your profile to include your location.

Let's make it easier for everybody and put a city and country in our profile please.

RANT OFF

Thank you

Cheers :)

Don

Identity theft? I've been nailed TWICE. effing thieves. The less they know about you the better. That said, I'm near Cinci OH. I work for a company that has a Biiig plant in your town :)

Spinnetti said:
Identity theft? I've been nailed TWICE. effing thieves. The less they know about you the better. That said, I'm near Cinci OH. I work for a company that has a Biiig plant in your town :)

Thanks for reading and replying to this post. The way that you describe your location is just fine with me. I do not want anyone to put down an exact location because of thieves and identity theft. If you would like to edit your profile and put "near Cinci OH" in it would give other members around the world and especially Canada and the US a better idea where you are.

Because I had my location in my post you were able to identify with me because the company that you work for has a big plant in Kitchener. That is just one example of how it can help if you know roughly where someone comes from. :bow: :bow:

Don

Many people have reasons why they don't put down there location. It may be that they are just a very private person or even paranoid of "bad " people finding them. Whatever the reason it is ther choice and we should respect that.

Remember if you make assumptions on why some people don't do what you may think as right you are making an ass out of you not me.

Hi All,

I really see no problem in informing the city, state and country where I am right now.

I believe that maybe people do not realize that such information could facilitate answers for themselves.

It is not reasonable that such information will are sufficient to enable a criminal can to act against someone.

I also think that this post will make people reflect and update their profiles.

Best Regards,

Alexandre

Guys.

I don’t know what the fuss is about. There is no privacy here on the net just google my handle (ieezitin) and it will pull up pages of stuff I have posted on the web since I have owned this handle ( 1996 ).

Saying that with a little more diligence you can connect my handle to my real name, then after that you will get my address and phone number all of which I have not personally posted.

A friend of mine who works for a research lab for the university of Delaware plays with this subject, one night last summer we were having a cook out and this same subject came up so after a couple of beers I challenged him to find me so so, he told me he could find anyone and there financial history, within 3 minutes he had my bosses mortgage company ,insurance company and credit history all before my eyes, he then asked me if I wanted public records of him in civil court etc, that’s when I told him to stop.

By virtue of the fact we use the net all information we post or view is public domain. Its as simple as that. If you wish to phone me just google it. 

Yeah, but some people do try to keep a low profile, for whatever it helps. I'm pretty sure a country isn't too likely to be a problem, but if somebody doesn't want their boss or psycho ex or whoever accidentally running across them, then I'm ok with them only putting as little as they'd like.

I leave a pretty good-sized web footprint since I use the same handle all over the place, but I can see somebody register here with a new one and a gmail address and it would be tough to track them down without IP logs and other things that are harder to come by for the average Joe.

I've always used my real name and location on all the boards and even passed out my complete address to many if they said they were passing through Albuquerque for
a visit. I have always thought I can pretty well take care of myself. :)
...lew...

I asked a similar question on another forum and one member who posted his location as "somewhere in Europe" or some other such nonsense said it was because he was an ex policeman and valued his privacy. This was a red rag to a bull and I spent about an hour looking at some of the stuff this guy posted and found amongst other things a recent picture of him, the last three towns he lived in and a bit about his political views and some of the products he'd bought (and reviewed) so much for valuing his privacy ...

Vic.

Omnimill said:
... This was a red rag to a bull ...
someone-with-a-different-opinion.jpg

There will always be people with different opinion - there is nothing you can do about it ;D
Life is too short ... use "ignore" button

Chris

I have no illusions about the footprint left behind me on the web ;D
If you were persistent enough, you could find my home address as well (just look up CAA's G-INFO)... and many other things.
I still try to be careful with some things (no need to make it too easy for them) so for example I wouldn't display my car registration - there has been too many cases of crooks using this for their nefarious purposes and it is very difficult to un-tangle when it happens to you.
And the final irony - when you find my home address - look it up on Google Street View and you will see me emerging from my garage :bow:
Chris

I agree Chris, no harm in being a bit careful but what harm is there in displaying at least the country - sure makes things easier for those folks trying to help out if you need it. :)

Vic.

Either this, or when asking a question make sure (ie use your brain) to specify a region/country for which you need you answer. Easy ;D and I have no issue with this - the only point I was trying to make, was that rather than go into Victor Meldrew tantrum on the subject, it is a lot easier to ignore folks who are not intelligent enough or too lazy (or both) to define this parameter for their inquiry :p

Chris

I think you are right. It should be there. I had no idea that it wasn't there. Never thought about it because when I'm on line it doesn't tell me where I'm from. Just added city and state.
Ken

bambuko said:
someone-with-a-different-opinion.jpg

There will always be people with different opinion - there is nothing you can do about it ;D
Life is too short ... use "ignore" button

Chris

There's an ignore button? hahahaha

Pat J said:
Chris-
That is a Classic "must save".
Pat J

Yeah ;D , every time I feel like correcting somebody or disagreeing with them, I remind myself that they are perfectly entitled to their (differing) view, and I don't have to do anything about - let them be ;)

Glad you've enjoyed it.

Chris

To all who previously added locations to their profile, Thank You. To those who haven't please do, it would be appreciated by moderators and members alike. :bow:

Don 4137

Hi Don,

I am very sorry, I didn't realise that I had not got it on. Fixing now.

Andy (from Homersfield, near Harleston, UK, on the Suffolk side of the River Waveney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

PS. My profile has always had the location completed, I thought that it would be available to see.

Just sorted mine out after reading Marv's instructions on page 1. Onya Marv couldn't be easier.
Added a picture of an underground escapeway ladder. Straight ladder 78 Degrees, location Flying Fox Mine.
Brock

Latest posts

Back