Anything about clocks.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been building clocks since 1992 and do all the necessary machining. Glad to help. JL

I have a restoration question .
About 23 years ago I purchased a grandfather clock mechanism new wholesale from a friend that runs a fixit shop. I had the Idea dream of building the clock . never did the mechanism sat in storage got peed on by rodents and sits in my basement . as far as I know it is intact and has some corrosion problems from the rodent urine and basement moisture.

You may need more details but what is your general opinion is it restorable and what approx value at this point in time.
Maybe I should just have my friend look at it.
any ideas. Is it worth selling?

Did a little more research the movement is a Hermle Black forest clockworks Germany. Model 1161-850 $400 new from clockworks.com one sold on e-bay for $46 .

tin

Tin. I answered your question awhile back but I guess it never made it to the forum. I am afraid you have a door stop. Hermle still makes movements but they are inferior to the ones they made ten years ago. They only last twenty five years or so and we don't bother to repair them any more. It's cheaper for the customer to buy a new movement than repair the old one.

Thanks for responding. you are not the only one to lose a post. I have done it preview to check and forget to hit submit or whatever. Cyber gremlins stealing it away before it sees the light of day.

I figured it is probably worth it weight in scrap metal.

It is sad the way things are made to fail . I found myself listening to the old song "My grandfathers clock" interesting enough the guy that wrote it lived in my home town. but they do not make things to last 90 years anymore.
I work in the service industry so much stuff is cheaper to replace than repair
tin.

Latest posts

Back