Anyone ever make an oil can?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Guy

Reaction score
ok very odd question but has anyone ever tried making an oil can? you know like the old copper ones with a proper pump?

Miniature, or full-scale? I'm thinking about making a miniature, something like the old Sutcliffe, where the button wasn't a pump, merely a flow valve.

http://www.stationarysteamengines.co.uk/stia/oilcans.htm

Sutcliffeoilcan.jpg

Looks like fun:eek:) Anyone have any plans for the valve? Or even a good picture:eek:)

full size and i was thinking more of the drum type like this

http://www.stationarysteamengines.co.uk/stia/oilcans2.htm

the oil can i have now is a POS and instead of buying a new one i think it would be fun to try make one. i dont think it would need much the only hard parts would be the pump and spinning the bottle hey what about a pump that fits on something like an old glass bottle :idea:

i came across a post on PM last night where someone noticed someones unusual oil can and expressed a wish to purchase one for himself or make one, i didnt notice it till i read his post it was unusual ill try and find a link

Not an odd post at all.... I was wondering just today if there is an oil can design that actually puts oil where you want it and not every where else? I would love to have about a half dozen cans that really work.....

yeah thats sort of the traditional type i was thinking about but better. it would be fun to make a pump mechanism that could easily go to a different design but thats going to take some thinking scratch.gif

here a link to the PM post i was talking about before. unfortunately no good pictures but its in the first post siting on a bank of drills see if you can spot it first time ;D
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php/prototypeshop-163882.html

Vernon said:
Miniature, or full-scale? I'm thinking about making a miniature, something like the old Sutcliffe, where the button wasn't a pump, merely a flow valve.

I learnt this the hard way after desoldering one that I thought was broken because it wouldn't pump. :-[

Its still on my workbench in the corner as these things are hard to resolder back up.

I would like to make a couple of small brass ones for my steam launch....the blue plastic pump one is just so vulgar ;D

Dave

I'll start drawing one up. Anyone have an Idea for a good pump design? Does 4" sound good for the can?

A pump like THIS would probably be perfect!!! It would just need a spring to keep the pumper up.

Powder keg said:
We can scale it any size you want Vernon:eek:)
I know! It's late here and I'm in a silly mood. ;D Make it too small and you'll have to fill it between squirts from a separate oilcan... which kinda defeats the purpose. ;D

I don't know 4" sounds right......what ya got in mind?

Dave

Do we want to make the can from tin? Or would something like exhaust tubing be better? That way we would just have to plug the ends. The mechanism I think will be a pain to install? It is 90 degrees coming out at the bottom. Maybe a fitting with come packing? that way the tube could just be inserted and tightened up with a nut. It will still be a pain I think? Any other ideas?

Well...I was thinking brass....but its up to you......A simple pouring can and a small squirt can with a long spout would be good for me.

We could take the guts out of a cheap can ...the plunger parts that is

It would simplify the build a bit......just thinking out loud...

Dave

Here's a sketch of a simple pouring can......to keep the lubricators full

proposedpouringoilcan.jpg

Latest posts

Back