another to say Hi.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunty

Reaction score
Hi from Gloucestershire UK ;D

Found this great place while searching for info on grinding and sharpening lathe tools, plenty of that here ;D

I am not really a keen machinist in the way you lot seem to be, just a chap with a a lathe who enjoys a play ;) I would like to make an engine but it's way out of my league, well at least for some time yet :-\

I have an old Colchester Student which I found on egay some time ago, not had a lot of use untill recently and after finding this site and reading some posts I actually got some incentive to go and clean it :eek:
SG102956.jpg

SG102957.jpg

I had to repair the T nut for the top slide this week as the original pulled out of its square. I also cleaned the slides as it was really stiff due to a pick up at some point which needed a careful clean up.
SG102960.jpg

It came with a Quick change post but unfortunately it only has one functioning slot due to earlier misuse :-[
SG102959.jpg

Currently sat in my lockup away from home, a 30' x 13' old barn, along with a very old vertical wood bandsaw, which I need to get rid of due to space :'( , a veg oil filter system and a load of car bits. Older cars are my main hobby, Land rover 200TDI, Reliant Rebel, Vauxhall Chevette, Dodge 50 bus among other stuff :D

Well thats pretty much me 8)

be gentle :bow:

Alan

Welcome to the forum Alan.

There's keen, experienced, and keen and experienced.
I've the got the keen down...working on the experience.

An engine is not out of your league. I had my very first machining experience (something more than just a hacksaw) last February. These guys are great at helping.
Try the E-Z engine...it was recently designed here for beginners...but also doesn't require a lot of equipment.

welcome to the forum Alan Have a go at making an engine there are some simple ones out there.
Nice old lathe.
Tin

Welcome Alan. Don't be afraid to jump right in. There are loys of good "first" engines out there, just find one you like and have a go at it.

Regards,
Bill

Welcome to HMEM Alan. I think you will like it here. There is a lot of information on a lot of differant subjects.

I noticed in your 1st photo that you have left your chuck key in the chuck. There was recently a long post on how dangerous that can be. You might want to read thru that one before you have an accident.

Looking forward to some of your engine projects.

Alan,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hello from Norfolk Alan, I had a couple of great Aunts who lived in Churchdown. That was a looooong time ago when I was ickle.
Everything I do on my lathe is playing as well, nought wrong with that.

Peter Thm:

hi All
thank you for the welcome :D
Churchdown not too far, got a m8 there with a sweet little Boxford we bought from Exeter :)
Apologies for chuck key :-[

I am going to have a go at the E-Z engine but will have to source some materials as I have no brass at all or flat alli :( plenty of stainless bar and a bit of alli round ;)

Painted the splash back today and thats an improvement but would like to paint the whole machine, where would I get the correct paint?

Next little job is to square the end of some tube and a make matching steel disc to make an air control for the woodburner I am currently building ;)

Also been looking for a mill, 3 phase no problem, size within reason, whats good?

many thanks
Alan

Latest posts

Back