Another Shop Hazard

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kludge said:
On the other hand, we have an assortment of birds, some of whom tend to be rather bold when it comes to food. It's not that natural food isn't plentiful - it is - but rather that people are such easy marks. :D

Best regards,

KLudge

They eat people? SH********T! I'll never complain about tiger snakes and taipans again.

tel said:
They eat people? SH********T! I'll never complain about tiger snakes and taipans again.

They hide behind their innocent small size and cuteness. But what they lack in size they make up for in numbers and determination. It's really horrifying though it does keep the tourists on their toes. ;D

Best regards,

Kludge

Bogstandard said:
To get back to this post.

I have just seen a deadly, rabies infested worm on the path in the garden, but that won't last long, we have real vicious sparrows around here, they will even take on big chunks of bread AND the snarling, voracious butterflies we are infested with in this part of the world.

John

You left out the annual Running Of The Fluffy Bunnies, when thousands of the enraged creatures pour thru the narrow streets, trampling and goring anyone in their path.

Looks like Alfred H. was right then Kludge?

We don't have the same problem you have with the enraged fluffies.

The wild ones were given a good dose of myxomatosis a few years back, and they don't seem to like us much now.

It also isn't recommended to eat the wild ones either. So we have to raid the neighbours' kids bunny hutch if we fancy one for the pot, but they don't taste the right any more, processed food just isn't the same.

John

Kludge,
I've heard that those giant centipede's can cause severe bruising to your shins when they have their boots on, Thank goodness they're too tired to do more damage after tying all those laces.
:big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

Kind regards

Malcolm

tel said:
You left out the annual Running Of The Fluffy Bunnies, when thousands of the enraged creatures pour thru the narrow streets, trampling and goring anyone in their path.

That's on the appropriately named Rabbit Island - the only place in the state with any concentration of Fluffy Bunnies. Every March, people row out to the island to pit themselves against the Madness of the March Hares (our local equivalent to the Running of the Fluffy Bunnies), and every April the various public safety agencies (police, fire, cub scouts looking for merit badges - all of whom having enough sense not to go in March) go to pick up the survivors, of whom there aren't any as often as not. We don't talk about this when tourists are present; it tends to frighten the smart ones and the rest ... well, you can imagine what happens to them.

Okay, that looks like blog material ... :)

Looks like Alfred H. was right then Kludge?

His Corpulance was right about a great many things, a true prophet in his own mind ... er, time.

On the other appendage to be identified at a later time, prophets have a habit of not being recognized in their own time and of meeting untimely and often uncomfortable ends. That's one thing being a minister has taught me, being a prophet is a dead end job. You may have a lot of followers but they're usually posthumous and quite a number of folks are about wanting to hasten that process.

Now, everyone. Look at the style of all of the above and think about what my monthly activity reports looked like when I was still kind of gainfully employed, keeping in mind that I also have some experience writing action/adventure, science fiction and romance. :D

Best regards,

Kludge

malcolmt said:
I've heard that those giant centipede's can cause severe bruising to your shins when they have their boots on

They can, in fact. It's especially bad when they have the hobnail boots on. On the other hand, those boots are so heavy, all they can get in is one good kick before they have to go and rest for a while.

Thank goodness they're too tired to do more damage after tying all those laces.

Yep, yep. We've found that they're unresponsive to people while they're resting so we just retie the laces together between the boots in various patterns which totally throws them off their stride and makes for fun entertainment when they try to chase us.

If anyone's curious, try this page from UH http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/Kbase/urban/site/Centip.htm or just Google "Hawaii centipede". The one at the UH site just describes one of three varieties here, the one with the venom.

Best regards,

Kludge

Not Really shop hazard but due to human stupidity I'm having tomorrow a surgical intervent for reallining my right end broken bones. The kickback of my professional hammer-drill did it because I don't used the antirolling bar... ??? ??? ??? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Paolo
DSC01399.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

OUCH! Hope you make a speedy recovery. I think all model engineers should pass on 'normal' tasks like hammer drilling to the wives, just in case..........

Paolo said:
Not Really shop hazard but due to human stupidity

Metal Mickey's got the right of it. Wives of those of us who enjoy the hobby should be involved as well. Of course, those of us lacking said wife sometimes have trouble borrowing one for a while. Husbands are so mistrusting! :(

Anyway, become whole soon and get back into it. Your shop is calling!

Best regards,

Kludge

Thanks to All...God was on my right side!!! Surgical intervent was OK...I'm bionic now...Titan is inside me!!!! :big: :big: :big:

Cedge said:
The incident that nearly gave me a real heart attack was the night I stepped out of the garage into the darkness and something struck me at exactly zipper level.... and then ran up my body. It turned out that I'd stepped right into the glide path of a flying squirrel. I don't know which one of us it scared most, but I can tell you things were more than a wee bit intense for both of us, there for a moment or two. Let's just say it made for a real cold sweat experience.

Steve

LOL
That has just given me a very funny mental image of you dancing around. :big:

I live in the forest on a natural bush block in the hills so of course everything here can bit and a lot of them can kill. I know tiger snakes live in my back yard and they are several times more toxic than rattlers but luckily we both have agreed to leave each other alone. In summer I get huntsmen spiders than can reach around 8 to 10cm across (including there legs) but luckily even though they are aggressive they are harmless and besides the Goulds monitor lizards that live around here each them.. The biggest one I've seen near my house was just under a meter long.
We generally only get a few scorpions in the house each year but the one hiding amongst the presents under the Christmas tree was a bit of a surprise a couple of years back.....

Tony
Trust me.... dancing wouldn't come close to describing the spastic movements that elittle fellow induced. All I knew at that moment was something had rung the family chimes and was rapidly advancing up my body towards my head and shoulders. They normally head for the high ground when they land in a tree and as a large vertical object, I guess I qualified. I'm a big guy, but it pretty much had me squealing like a girl for a second or two....LOL.

My wife heard al the noise and, when she saw I was alright, laughed at me until she nearly wet herself. So much for my personal dignity....LOL

Steve

Cedge said:
Tony
Trust me.... dancing wouldn't come close to describing the spastic movements that elittle fellow induced. All I knew at that moment was something had rung the family chimes and was rapidly advancing up my body towards my head and shoulders. They normally head for the high ground when they land in a tree and as a large vertical object, I guess I qualified. I'm a big guy, but it pretty much had me squealing like a girl for a second or two....LOL.

My wife heard al the noise and, when she saw I was alright, laughed at me until she nearly wet herself. So much for my personal dignity....LOL

Steve
This is funny.. Years ago I had a pet flying squirrel. Brought the little guy up from a tiny furball that slept all day in my shirt pocket. He got habituated to me, so if I was moving around he'd jump over to me, run up my body and either dive into the pocket or scramble down inside the collar of my shirt. If there were more than one person around, sometimes he'd jump onto them instead. Much entertainment when it was unsuspecting ladies ;D ;D

squil1j.JPG
squil2j.JPG

tmuir said:
LOL
That has just given me a very funny mental image of you dancing around. :big:

I live in the forest on a natural bush block in the hills so of course everything here can bit and a lot of them can kill. I know tiger snakes live in my back yard and they are several times more toxic than rattlers but luckily we both have agreed to leave each other alone. In summer I get huntsmen spiders than can reach around 8 to 10cm across (including there legs) but luckily even though they are aggressive they are harmless and besides the Goulds monitor lizards that live around here each them.. The biggest one I've seen near my house was just under a meter long.
We generally only get a few scorpions in the house each year but the one hiding amongst the presents under the Christmas tree was a bit of a surprise a couple of years back.....

Any problem with the cane toads, I have a copy of the program they did on them years ago. And the way they did it in a mockumentary style, with interviews of some of the very interesting characters. That have encounters with them. Like the lady with the daughter that dresses them up and plays dollies with them, or the guy with the back yard pond group, whose mission in life is to destroy every last one that comes across his path.

It was the funniest and still is the funniest video on a nature subject I have ever seen.
glen

Tony (Tmuir)
Without knowing your location in WA I can't say too much.

I reckon you're in Jarrah country (We generally only get a few scorpions in the house)
If you have small kids around the place, have you looked for white-tail/white-spot spiders?
They will flay an adult with one bite you don't feel.

Sorry to introduce this note, but scorpions, centipedes and tiger snakes are the last things you should be worrying about.
Are you a sandgroper?

For the rest of you good folk on this board, please don't worry about the venomous wildlife in WA.
Honest, it's a nice place to live :D

For the rest of you good folk on this board, please don't worry about the venomous wildlife in WA.
Honest, it's a nice place to live

Don't you mean die.

Bogs

I now have a shop cat, my wife picked it up on the side of the road and put it in the shop, well she is fun, but can get in the way, try to hammer something she swipes between the blows, try to work on my Big Scag mower she is swiping at the wrenches, knocking bolts around, I don't think she is going to be a mechanic, she loves the lathe, sits there and watches it still bound, when I get enough of her I go put her in the sink and turn the water on, playing in the water and looking down the drain keep her happy for a few minutes, what I have I got into, Lathe Nut

Dhow Nunda wallah said:
Tony (Tmuir)
Without knowing your location in WA I can't say too much.

I reckon you're in Jarrah country (We generally only get a few scorpions in the house)
If you have small kids around the place, have you looked for white-tail/white-spot spiders?
They will flay an adult with one bite you don't feel.

Sorry to introduce this note, but scorpions, centipedes and tiger snakes are the last things you should be worrying about.
Are you a sandgroper?

Honest, it's a nice place to live :D

Only had one or two white tail spiders in the house that I've caught so far in the 8 years I've lived in this house.
The jury is still out on white tail spiders though.
For a start only a very small percentage of people get a 'reaction' to them, OK the reaction is usually loosing a limb... then another a few years later.... followed by part of your face.... then another limb....
But all the people who have had this serious reaction none of them have been able to prove 100% it was a white tail, all those known to be 100% bitten by a white tail have had no nasty reaction.
But whether it is the spider or something else best not to have them in your house.

I remember when Billy Connolly did his tour of Australia he said.
'I'm B***Y amazed any of you make it to Adulthood!' or something to that effect.

My son 2 weekends ago learnt why soldier ants are called soldier ants and now has a healthy respect to leave them alone, not to mention 8 or 10 welts still on his foot.

Being trying to resist putting photos up of my little friends I've found inside my house but here is a small selection.

White tail
whitetail.jpg

Huntsman
spider.jpg

Scorpion found amongst the presents under the Christmas tree
scorpion.jpg

This one was outside and climbed inside the swing set I was at the time putting together.
Luckily it is only a legless lizard, not a snake, but was still a bugger to get out.
Burtons_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back