Another scrap engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
Hi All,

I like building small engines from whatever metal I have knocking about. This engine is a single cylinder double acting horizontal engine. Not built from plans but virtually 'thrown' together. I forgot to take any pics in the process but have this video of it working on air. The flywheels are machined cast and are about 60mm in diametre. Cylinder is steel with a bore of 20 mm and a stroke of 40mm. Piston is brass with two 'o' rings to seal. It all ran first time on less than a bar of air. Have now tried to build a control from brass with two levers. One for speed and one for direction. Works but leaks air and is not as good as I wanted. Needs 3 bar to run as control reduces passage of air. Now rebuilding the control. Will eventually be painted but thought you would like a video to look at.

Julian

Erm ... did you forget something Julian?

No Tel,

Didn't forget just ran out of time and had not copied link so here it is:-

It's a crap video so will record another tomorrow.

Julian.

nope, still get the same thing - must be something this end

I got the same thing you got Tel.
Its the video.

Ron

It might be also a missing/different mp4 codec, or a number of other things. I´m using Google Chrome browser, and the video works just fine here.

I get the same thing as Tel using Firefox. IE doesn't pull it up, and Chrome will play it for a few seconds and then it stalls and won't start playing again.

Try putting it on Youtube and leave Pbucket for still pics.
Would be nice to see it run, Julian!

Dean

That runs great.

If I might add, I really like your air controle, it works real smooth, was that your own design?

I tried to make one for my twin cylinder, and it had leaks every where.
But then again it was a poor design to start out with.

Your's is a good design.

This should be a better video. If still crap I will go on youtube.

Valve was guess work and just works ok. I am not happy with it and will redesign today. Engine itself runs well.

Julian

:( Still no good - got the same message as with the last one.

Will try again another day. Back at work tomorrow for six days.

Julian.

Played OK for a few seconds for me and then stopped and gave the error message and wont play again :(

Nick

That's a pleasing little engine. Runs good and has a nice look to it.

Chuck

Julian,

I can't get your video to load either, despite having pretty well every codec known to man. I notice it has an mp4 file extension. Maybe better if you re-encoded it as divX or Xvid. Photobucket usually encodes them as flv files and maybe it's having trouble with mp4 to flv.

Of course all of the above may well be gobbledegook but worth a try. ???

Best Regards
Bob

Back