Another Oscillator!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha ;D

That one looks a good buy, will have to look out for something like that, would come in very useful.

Nick

Spent another couple of hours in the garage last night, basically finishing off the engine. It still needs a wooden base (waiting to get some nice wood from my dad's) and was thinking of putting a brass plaque on it and getting engraved with my son's name since it's supposed to be for him, or is that a bit cheesy?!

Last night I did the following:

Dismantled.

Drilled two mounting holes in the base of the frame.

Opened the inlet port out to accept the copper pipe.

Bent a piece of 1/8" OD copper pipe.

Turned a barb for the air supply. I got some dimensions from the pushchair tyre valve so that my car tyre compressor would fit!

Soldered the pipework in place.

Filed the some of the marks out of the frame and created some more!

Painted the inside dish of the flywheel red. (it's becoming a little trade mark of mine, all my flywheels are red for some reason!)

Reassembled with 3 in 1 oil.

Mounted on a scrap piece of wood.

I then tried running the engine with the tyre compressor. I have an old car battery in the garage that I haven't got around to chucking out so that was a stroke of luck! The engine ran superbly, it was flying over as expected with such as small bore and stroke, and no way to regulate the air flow. Would be interesting to see what speed it was going. It was going so fast that it didn't look like it was moving, was all a blur! Couldn't hear a lot due to the noisy compressor. What I was impressed with was how true everything was, the engine didn't shake or wobble, just ran.

I can't quite turn the engine over on lung power though, think the bore is just too small.

Sorry, I have no pictures of this, in the excitement I forgot to take the camera out with me! However, the internet at home is down in any case so I will get some pictures and a video up as soon as possible. Might get another co2 bottle to run it so we can hear the engine rather than the compressor.

To coin a phrase, I just need to give him his sunday suit now!

Nick

mklotz said:

That looks like the one I bought. It's a little noisy, but bearable. After a while, it gets pretty hot, almost egg-frying hot to the touch. I ran my latest engine on it for > 1 hour a couple of times to help with breaking the engine in.

It's worth the $, especially when you can find a H/F coupon to use !

Mike

NickG said:
I can't quite turn the engine over on lung power though, think the bore is just too small.
Somewhere I read that the lungs can only generate 1 to 2 PSI, so I wouldn't be too upset about that.

Think I just nearly burst something trying to get it to run on lung power! ;) Seriously though, I think I've heard that before too about the 1-2 psi. I think if an engine was made with the right proportions it would be able to turn over by lung power. One I made years ago for my GCSE project had a 1/2" bore and 1" stroke, that was possible, you just ran out of breath after about 3 revolutions!

Here is a photo of the engine still lacking it's proper base, and a somewhat dodgy video taken by my kind wife as I operate the lashed together bicycle pump!

DSC02800.jpg

Not the steadiest of hands!

Hey, it runs, and sounds good, too. :bow:

rleete said:
Not the steadiest of hands!

Hey, he was just excited, the way we all are when an engine runs for the first time! :big:

CHuck

It was me that was making it jiggle about pumping the cycle pump! :big:

I'll have to show it running on a proper compressor once I've mounted it properly!

Hi Nick
That video really made me smile, the excitement of getting your engine to run, FANTASTIC. It sounds great.
Very well done

Kind regards

Malcolm

Nick,

Sounds like this
smiley-transport010.gif
getting ready for the warm up lap.

smiley-score010.gif

Best Regards
Bob

That's great Nick. I've enjoyed following your build-up.

BTW, in Pumping Iron, Franco Columbu blew up a hot water bottle until it burst with lung power alone! Can't guess what pressure that would require...

Thanks for the kind comments and for following the thread!

I didn't really expect it to sound like that! Guess it's to do with it having a small bore and port sizes, will have to see what it's like ticking over.

Must have been quite a high pressure to burst a hot water bottle! :eek: Wish I had a pair of lungs like that! ;D

I will be attempting my first flame licker or possibly an i.c. engine next so look out for lots of trials and tribulations coming soon!

I will need to do the cad model and drawings first though, I used to make things off the cuff but this has proven it's worth over my last few builds so I continue with this method!

Whatever I do is likely to be a simplified version of one of Jan Ridders designs, I also like the Webster but don't feel confident enough to do the valves and cams yet for a 4 stroke.

Nick

Hi all,

I've now made the base for this engine and done a video of it running of a car tyre compressor, so sorry about the noise! It shows about 10psi pressure on the gauge whilst running.

Nick

2009-02-0119-33-10_0001.jpg

2009-02-0119-33-24_0002.jpg

2009-02-0119-33-36_0003.jpg

2009-02-0119-34-09_0005.jpg

2009-02-0119-35-04_0007.jpg

That is a very nice looking engine and a great design. It's a great engine for a newbie to build as a first engine. ;)

Thanks, am pleased you enjoyed building it and got a great result too!

i like it. yes well done another one to add to the list

Very Slick. Simple Elegance.

Back