Another of 'her' orders ... !!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksor

Reaction score
Now I got a little further with this project:

http://kelds.weebly.com/garnvaeligrktoslashj.html

But I wonder if I have to worry about witch way the ball winder should run compared to the twisting of the yarn ... :fan:maybe it's theory - but when the yarn is used from the inside of the ball - and knitting people prefere that - it WILL twist or UN-twist more and more as the ball of yarn is used, depending of the original twisting af the yarn !

Will this effect affect the knitting ... some knitting people here who knows ?

Nobody is knitting in here ? ;)

And maybe experienced if it's a problem if the ball winder winds the yarn in the wrong direction.

:fan:

I have to say it is a long time since I did some knitting;) You take on the most interesting and varied projects, it doesn't mater if it's a machine tool or an engine or a yarn winder, it's all good fun. Had a look around your website and enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

If the holder spins around its center axis while yarn is being removed from the inside, then it would eliminate the twisting/untwisting. That might make it a lot more complicated, of course, but... well, there you go

- Ryan

>> Rayanth

My little machine is used for MAKING the ball of yarn - when finished "you" ( ... or SHE ) takes the ball and start knitting, but ...

usually knitting people takes a thread fron the INSIDE of the ball and starts knitting and the ball normally lays without moving around on the floor. WHEN the thread is used this way the thread will be more and more (or less and less - depending of the original twisting of the yarn) twisted as the ball gets smaller and smaller.

My quastion is - does it matter witch way the ball is winded compared to the way the yarn is twisted ?

If it IS a problem - then one situation could be, when the ball is nearly used up, then the thread will twist with itself so often that it is anoying to the knitting person. Another situation could be, that when the ball is nearly used up, the thread is "falling apart" because the thread is no longer twisted at all.

Oh .. it's hard to explain when english is not you first language - but maybe I just worries too much about this issue witch never in fact IS a problem when knitting. :fan:

I think you can see the same problem with a roll of electric wire - if you put the roll on the floor an laying on its side and starts pulling the wire off the roll over the one side - then at last the wire will be so twisted that you HAVE to fix it before you can continue - this is analog to the situation woth the yarn getting more and more twisted. The aother situation where the yarn gets more and more "loose" has no analogy on an electric wire.

Maybe this just confuses things more .....

ksor, i apologize for misunderstanding the purpose of the device, but the end result I did understand. I'm an aviation mechanic by trade, and am fully familiar with the wire analogy (and it DOES sort of have a counterpart in both directions, it just takes longer to get it to start twisting too far the other way)

I have also worked with yarns and the like in my childhood, I did a lot of sewing type stuff (Yes I was strange for a male child) but I never got into knitting or crocheting. I will ask my mother, who may know more (seamstress)

But, if the ball is laying on the floor, and not actually secured in any way, then as the torque of the string got to be too much (assuming it is tightening rather than loosening the twist), eventually the ball will turn itself to alleviate some of it. Then again, I suspect the knitter would pull out a bunch of excess for loose play, and that would negate that aspect. hmm...

http://knitting.about.com/od/toolsandsupplies/ss/ball-winder.htm may have some useful insight for you as to how the operation typically works... and you could adjust from this model to what you are building.

- Ryan

>> Rayanth

Thx for the link !

Ksor, my wife is a long time wool spinner and knitter. I am surrounded by everything to do with spinning and knitting. She has several commercial wool winders similar to the pictures on your website. Her response is that wool is normally plied anti clockwise, in which case the ball of wool will be wound clockwise on the machine to maintain the twist in the wool. Basically the ball of wool is wound the opposite way to the twist, so it maintains a slight tension on the wool as it is being used. I hope this helps?

Ksor, my wife is a long time wool spinner and knitter. I am surrounded by everything to do with spinning and knitting. She has several commercial wool winders similar to the pictures on your website. Her response is that wool is normally plied anti clockwise, in which case the ball of wool will be wound clockwise on the machine to maintain the twist in the wool. Basically the ball of wool is wound the opposite way to the twist, so it maintains a slight tension on the wool as it is being used. I hope this helps?

That was exactly what I was looking for - give my thx to your wife ! :)

Latest posts

Back